Apple Retail Scanned my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PIX, Aug 11, 2010.

1. PIX macrumors member

I'm in Canada and had my JB iPhone 4 replaced at an Apple Retail store. I restored phone as new in iTunes prior to going to the store. I even added some apps so the phone wouldn't appear so new. I was informed that it was store policy that the iPhone be scanned prior to giving me a replacement. Didn't do that when I had my iPhone 3GS replaced 4 months ago:confused: Perhaps Apple is scanning to determine if the phone is Jail Broken? The Apple employee plugged in the dock cable into my old phone and was checking the info on a store iPhone. The replacement iPhone 4 is a refurb.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

First, what on earth do you mean by "scanned"? They always plug the phones into a computer to check what's up.

Second, you really don't have to worry about adding new apps. The first thing they tell customers to do when they have issues is to restore. They're not going to cause a scene if they see that you just restored your phone half an hour ago. :)

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Almost every time I replaced my phone the Apple genius connected my phone up to retrieve the diagnostic logs off the phone. I don't know what the problem was with your phone but it's normal.

4. Kayan macrumors 6502

I've actually had several iPhones replaced in the past and they never did any "scan", that is unless they did it in the back where no one could see. But still, no big deal if you just restore as you should.

5. PIX thread starter macrumors member

1) Apple employee's words -not mine.
    2) Replaced the phone for cosmetic issue.

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I don't worry about adding new apps. In fact, if I'm taking it in to the Apple Store, I do a complete reset and DFU restore first. This way, if the phone does need exchanged, it doesn't have any personal data on it.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, that is standard, every time you take the iPhone to an Apple store they "scanned" it for diagnostics. They need to send that report back with the phone to the factory.

as mentioned before, you don't need to add apps to pretent that the iphone have been use, just take it after DFU restore and that should do it.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. PIX thread starter macrumors member

Now that I think of it the Apple Genius probably DID connect my old 3GS up last time for diagnostic logs but I was so busy chatting with him that I didn't really pay attention. So far I'm happy with my replacement:D

11. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

what happens in the UK if you take your locked phone to apple to be exchanged in case of a fault? The replacement one will be sim-free? or is it going to lock to your network?

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It'll be locked.

13. err404 macrumors 68020

They have been gathering diagnostic logs as a first step to service for a long time. I had charging issues with my 3G a few years ago and did a clean restore just prior to having it looked at. They were unable to help me that day since they needed the logs in order to see the battery cycle history (which I had just cleared). I had to return a few days later with some log history to have it replaced.