Apple retail store - BTO Q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thelongmorrow, Mar 11, 2009.

1. thelongmorrow macrumors member

I have a Apple retail store in my area and I have several questions as I always bought from Apple.com.

1. Can you buy customized macs from the retail store or just the stock build options?
    2. If you can't get them there can you order BTO (Build to order) macs through the retail store? (Will they customize it on site or order it from the factory?)
    3 & 4. It should be the same price as apple.com right? Can you still get EDU discount?

There was a delay in purchasing my mac pro (ATM's suck your debit card in if you forget them there.....) and now I have fixed that delay (got my new card in the mail today!) and now I just wanted to get it as soon as possible, and if it quicker at the retail store then online, that's what ill do!.. Thank you in advance for your responses! :cool:

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Very few BTO machines (if any) are stocked in-store. No, they don't add custom options in-store while you wait. Usually they just direct you to a Mac in the store so you can order online from there if you want BTO.
    If they do have a model you want in stock you can use your EDU discount at the Apple Store.

3. thelongmorrow thread starter macrumors member

Well I went to the apple retail store today, I saw that they didnt have the new Mac Pros on display yet. (New Imacs are out) I waited probably a 1/2 hour for someone and everyone was still busy so I left. (Lunch hour rush?! I guess.) I am going to order my Mac pro now from apple.com, and buy the 24 ACD from the store so it has a less chance of getting damaged in transit.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Apple will add RAM for you in the store, and should eventually be able to add an Airport card and extra video cards. However, these aren't customizable options -- as in, you pay for the full stock computer and can "add" extras.

Also, it is silly to think that the 24" ACD has less of a chance of getting damaged if you buy it from the store. Whether it ships to your home or ships to the store, it is still being transported by FedEx and UPS. Apple doesn't make them in-house! :)

5. rovassy macrumors newbie

Can they customise HDD options. I would preferably buy 17" MB Pro with basic options plus SSD. I cant buy it online as they dont ship to my country yet. But im travelling a lot to places where i could buy them if they did customisation. Or do they have SSD prebuilt MB Pros for sale in retail stores?

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The Apple store I visited told me that they ONLY upgrade they can do in-store is the RAM. Anything else at all would require an online order.

This was for an iMac from last June. I don't imagine it's much different for other product lines.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

At least you see what you're getting.