Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowmanuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I called into my local Apple Store today with the clearly naive aim if hoping to see the new phones in the flesh. No sign anywhere ... "we'll get one on 19th" being the only response. Such a disappointment that Apple can't get their act together with their retail stores on a new launch - particularly where so many people still have questions in respect of device size etc. In 5 mins must've seen staff answer the same question 20 times.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
What? Its always been like this. If you don't want to get it day 1 thats fine. When the phone releases, on the 19th, you'll have plenty time to look at it in store...

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I called into my local Apple Store today with the clearly naive aim if hoping to see the new phones in the flesh. No sign anywhere ... "we'll get one on 19th" being the only response. Such a disappointment that Apple can't get their act together with their retail stores on a new launch - particularly where so many people still have questions in respect of device size etc. In 5 mins must've seen staff answer the same question 20 times.

What???

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012

Apply and try to change their set up

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Well, in all fairness, this practice is goofy.

Announce it one day, launch it a week later but don't have it available to see/touch.

They intentionally do this to create hype.

What surprises me is that you are disappointed. When has it ever not been like this? Why would you expect it to be different this time?

crowmanuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I know how it's always been ... It's not the physical phone per se but no indication in the stores that the announcements have even happened. No marketing material and no information anywhere. Customers were filling the store all asking the same questions. Whether everyone on this board knows "the way it is" or not ... Apple customers were clearly being disappointed.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I honestly feel sorry for Apple employees and online customer service reps this time of year..............

triple-facepalm-picard-812.jpg

:apple:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Ahhh, I see what you mean. People walking into Apple stores this week and not seeing any info on the new phones.

Yes, that is very poor planning on Apple's part. They should at least have temporary signs at the entrance.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
On one side it's always been this way so why expect anything different.

On the flip. Just because it's always been a way doesn't mean it should continue. For many items you can demo before.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I didn't get what you said but:

Go after 19th and you'll be able to see the phones. And as for "not being able to see any marketing materials", it's all over Apple's site even my local Apple Store site mentions it so I don't know where you're looking.

crowmanuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
On one side it's always been this way so why expect anything different.

On the flip. Just because it's always been a way doesn't mean it should continue. For many items you can demo before.

This is what hits me. Apple spend and market online massively with a new launch but the retail stores don't appear to be a joined up part of things. Why wouldn't you expect to see material in flagship stores covering products included in such a significant announcement. If the online store covers the announcement why wouldn't the retail store? Multi-channel marketing is pretty much a given nowadays but it's something Apple have never nailed ... and aren't really making any progress in.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This is what hits me. Apple spend and market online massively with a new launch but the retail stores don't appear to be a joined up part of things. Why wouldn't you expect to see material in flagship stores covering products included in such a significant announcement. If the online store covers the announcement why wouldn't the retail store? Multi-channel marketing is pretty much a given nowadays but it's something Apple have never nailed ... and aren't really making any progress in.

Things take time. Its only a 2 week lag time. Breathe, relax, work on your other hobbies and life while they catch up. They have a lot of stores and personnel to train and bring up to speed.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
What? Its always been like this. If you don't want to get it day 1 thats fine. When the phone releases, on the 19th, you'll have plenty time to look at it in store...

While it has always been like that, like the OP I wish they were in the store now so I could see them in person.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
You could say that the stores get ready a week later than the announcement (so it's a fail), or you could say that the announcement comes a week earlier than when the stores can get ready (so it's a win).

The stores must have a day when they would be ready, and the announcement could either come at the same time or earlier than that date. So, in a way, you are not asking for the stores to get ready sooner, but for the announcement to come later. I would always prefer to be informed about the product as early as possible.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
While it has always been like that, like the OP I wish they were in the store now so I could see them in person.

Okay. If that were the case then they would have been released. They're in the business of selling phones, not demoing them.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Having iPhone 6 in store before its available for sale would be foolish, as they'd lose all the other iPhone sales that happen during this period. People would either wait in the new model or wait until the old model is available cheaper. The time from announcement to retail availability is short to reduce the number of people who wait on the new model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.