Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roto3180

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

It's just like working at Best Buy. Except for the fact that the customers are probably more willing to buy attachments than at Best Buy. The services Apple provides are actually worth the money you pay not the 49.95 rip off of "we'll come out and get your laptop on your network". I've always had good service at the Apple stores I've shopped at and prefer going there over Best Buy. I work at Best Buy and see how customers are treated and it kind of bothers me. I've sold Macs to students and members of the military, informed them about the discounts and had the managers there say they couldn't honor them. Never had that kind of problem at an Apple store. Usually the ones I frequent ask which one I would be using that day.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
It's just like working at Best Buy. Except for the fact that the customers are probably more willing to buy attachments than at Best Buy. The services Apple provides are actually worth the money you pay not the 49.95 rip off of "we'll come out and get your laptop on your network". I've always had good service at the Apple stores I've shopped at and prefer going there over Best Buy. I work at Best Buy and see how customers are treated and it kind of bothers me. I've sold Macs to students and members of the military, informed them about the discounts and had the managers there say they couldn't honor them. Never had that kind of problem at an Apple store. Usually the ones I frequent ask which one I would be using that day.

Yeah, I stopped giving Best Buy money on principle over how they treated me on an extended warranty (nevermind always getting crappy service at every single one I've been at, and that is between two different states, four different stores so it isn't just management at one store).

Best Buy seems very much more focused on getting the money out of the consumer *now* and who cares if it pisses them off rather than retaining any customer loyalty.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Right , because we all know that "chicks" with electronic equipment aren't nearly as serious about their electronics nor warrant the same level of service that a guy might.

Neckbearded much?

As an equal rights support and a member of the LGBT community and an ex-Genius bar guy, I have to state that his comment was more about the frequency of this type of clientele as opposed to a slam on women in technology (there were quite a few female tech's co-workers). He was trying to state that it's become a "fashionable" product, with the Paris Hilton's et al needing a trendy iPhone, not a slam on women.

Yeah, I stopped giving Best Buy money on principle over how they treated me on an extended warranty (nevermind always getting crappy service at every single one I've been at, and that is between two different states, four different stores so it isn't just management at one store).

Best Buy seems very much more focused on getting the money out of the consumer *now* and who cares if it pisses them off rather than retaining any customer loyalty.

I stopped shopping at BestBuy and Target based on the company's support of anti-LGBT/Civil Rights for a lot of minorities as well as supporting Pro-Life causes. I do not want my money going into the pockets of those who view me and my friends as "threats" to the "American way of life", nor do I want to support groups who take away the right of women to choose. Coupled with the lack of competition from companies that shut down such as CompUSA and Circuit City, BestBuy has almost a complete lock in their market.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Coupled with the lack of competition from companies that shut down such as CompUSA and Circuit City, BestBuy has almost a complete lock in their market.

Newegg.com or if you want a physical store and are lucky enough there is always Fry's (We have one here in washington). And apparently my parents have some electronic store near them that I can't remember the name.

Yeah, there is a lot less competition, but there is still some (including online. Newegg is an awesome place to shop).

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Newegg.com or if you want a physical store and are lucky enough there is always Fry's (We have one here in washington). And apparently my parents have some electronic store near them that I can't remember the name.

Yeah, there is a lot less competition, but there is still some (including online. Newegg is an awesome place to shop).

Oh Lordy not Frys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.