Apple retail store launch situation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bumfluff, Nov 4, 2018.

1. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

whats the word on getting an ipp in store nov. 7th? looks like retail stores open at the regular 10am, will it be crazy like iphone launches (ie having to get there hours before)?

2. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

It’s iPad. You walk in, purchase and walk out. There will be no lines and no shortage of stock, as this isn’t iPhone

3. bumfluff thread starter macrumors regular

bumfluff

gotcha thanks for the info

4. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    It’s actually funny as we all thought the same back with the first iPad Pro... and it was a mad-house. I preordered my iPad but not the pencil so when I did get there at opening they ran out within 2-mins.

5. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Yep. Just walk in and you will be fine. The only time I can ever remember queues for iPads was the Ipad 2

6. brosenz macrumors regular

brosenz

At my local store even for the last iPhone XS the line was only 5 people, I asked about it, and they told me everybody buys online now.

7. FUNUR macrumors newbie

i also try to catch one from the store.

Anyone can confirm the opening time ?

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I went to www.apple.com/retail , picked my store from the list and it showed normal operating hours for this week. If there was an early opening for Wednesday, it would be noted on these pages. It may be different for your local store so look it up to see. Or call them.

9. judyg951 macrumors regular

judyg951

I'm debating on changing from the 11" to the 12.9" and will try to look in at them in store since I already have the 11" coming. I just can't decide. I'm going from an iPad Mini and the new folio case makes it look like it's huge as it is. Just need to look at both of them side by side.

10. NWYDA macrumors newbie

Some of these device are backordered for a month. I agree with what most others have said about past launches, but I'm expecting that there will be lines on Wednesday from people who don't want to wait for preorders to ship.

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I don't think there will be lines, the question is how much stock will be available.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

i wouldn't' say that there will be no lines and no shortage. but you are correct that the iPads haven't had the huge lines like the iPhone for a while. so the likelihood of them running out, especially in a morning, is slim. and the lines might be an hour wait not 6-8 hours like the iPhone can be

13. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I think the problem accessory will be the Pencil 2. I have a SmartFolio for pickup tomorrow and my iPad ships from Costco next week. I'm planning to wait in line at opening to pick up SmartFolio and see if I can snag a Pencil 2.

My Apple Store Pencil order doesn't ship until 24th-27th, and BHPhoto preorder says "backordered". Hoping to get lucky at a Best Buy, Target, or Apple Store locally before then.

14. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

And the original! Don’t forget the original. They whipped out the bagpipes at my local store for that one.

15. bumfluff thread starter macrumors regular

bumfluff

how early would you recommend? i did one iphone launch a couple years ago and that was a nightmare

16. cmbarclay macrumors regular

My guess is they will have all of them in stock exept 1tb will be special order.

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

honestly it's hard to say unless I had experience at the exact store you will be doing to. on a similar launch. but general rule of thumb is that early mornings are your best bet. that is if buy online and pickup at the store isn't an option. if the latter is available always do that cause since you paid already once they confirm the item is at the store they can't sell it to anyone else unless you don't come pick it up for like a week and then you are refunded your money when it's released back to sales

18. Bravia3d macrumors regular

I have a feeling there will be lines and they will sell out fast. Just look how fast the shipping dates went up online.

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

online shipping dates tell nothing about the in store experience. the dates could have jumped quickly because the amount of stock they set aside for shipping for Nov 7th was limited and the bulk of the stock was set to be shipped to the stores.

20. canyonblue737 macrumors 65816

it took over 24 hours after availability for the apple.com store to not be able to offer launch iPad Pro models this year. that is pretty slow.