Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today that they will be opening a new retail store on Chestnut Street in San Francisco this Friday, November 23, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. PST. The store opening falls on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) which Apple acknowledges will feature a special shopping event:
The perfect day for a grand opening.
Come early, come late, and enjoy extended hours this Friday, November 23, for a special one-day shopping event.

Article Link

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
OMG... they're going to open another Apple Store in California!!!!

Seriously,

Brea, Brea Mall
Burlingame, Burlingame
Canoga Park, Topanga
Chula Vista, Otay Ranch
Corte Madera, Corte Madera
Costa Mesa, South Coast Plaza
Emeryville, Bay Street
Fresno, Fashion Fair
Glendale, Glendale Galleria
Irvine, Irvine Spectrum Center
Los Angeles, Beverly Center
Los Angeles, Century City
Los Angeles, The Grove
Los Gatos, Los Gatos
Manhattan Beach, Manhattan Village
Mission Viejo, Mission Viejo
Newport Beach, Fashion Island
Northridge, Northridge
Palo Alto, Palo Alto
Palo Alto, Stanford Shopping Center
Pasadena, Pasadena
Pleasanton, Stoneridge Mall
Rancho Cucamonga, Victoria Gardens
Sacramento, Arden Fair
San Diego, Fashion Valley
San Diego, UTC
San Francisco, Chestnut Street
San Francisco, San Francisco
San Francisco, Stonestown
San Jose, Oakridge
San Luis Obispo, Higuera Street
Santa Clara, Valley Fair
Santa Monica, Third Street Promenade
Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa Plaza
Sherman Oaks, Sherman Oaks
Simi Valley, Simi Valley
Thousand Oaks, The Oaks
Walnut Creek, Walnut Creek

Aren't there enough Apple Stores in California?

Silencio

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Given how busy the other two San Francisco stores always are, then yes: it does make sense to open a third store in town.

I'm ashamed to say I live within easy walking distance of the new Chestnut Street store. That part of town (Marina / Cow Hollow) is a true yuppie/post-frat boy nightmare. At least there will be plenty of affluent buyers nearby to keep the portable POS terminals busy, and Chestnut Street is not as averse to new chain stores coming in as some other retail districts in San Francisco are.

So yeah, I'll take advantage of the new location, for sure.

CalCanuck

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Silicon Valley
Population Density

OMG... they're going to open another Apple Store in California!!!!

Umm.. roughly 36 million people living in California that's more than the entire population of Canada (33 million) and substantially greater than the population of Minnesota (5 million) and the population of Colorado at 4 million.

Just saying....

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Umm.. roughly 36 million people living in California that's more than the entire population of Canada (33 million) and substantially greater than the population of Minnesota (5 million) and the population of Colorado at 4 million.

Just saying....

We have 3 out here in Colorado out in Denver and its suburbs.. just an hour and a half drive for me.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Idaho, PLEASE oh PLEASE!

Sorry, what is the link to see a list of new stores to open in the future?

I am in Idaho and our local :apple: reseller ######## absolutely blows, they are not customer service oriented people to say the least (everyone I know buys direct from :apple: for this very reason).

I (not that it will do any good, but I feel better:)) have written several request for an :apple: store emails to :apple:, I sure hope with as many states as they are currently occupying, they will open a store in Boise sooner than later

Galaxius

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
It may seem like there are too many in California but there are over 1 million people living in San Francisco alone. LA has more than that even and in southern California probably has well over 3 million.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001

Just saying....

Honestly, I am fine with the number of Apple Stores in Colorado. Well on second thought, all we need is one more for southern Colorado. Other than that there is no need for more here.

It just really seems Apple's placing all their eggs in one basket and should share the love... A quick count of 38 Apple Stores for Cali's "roughly 36 mil," versus 12 Apple Stores for Texas' 23.5 million people. Or another 12 stores for New York's 19.3 million people.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
I have an apple store that's a few minutes away by train, so I'm not complaining. But it is a bit unfair on the rest of the world opening yet another one in california. And if you want to talk population density there are loads of whole countries lacking apple stores which have much higher populations than california ;).

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
chestnuts and apples

Chestnut in the 80s was the most old-world SF neighborhood left, with old ladies shopping at butchers and bakeries, buying edible apples and chatting with friends. The 89 earthquake shook it up. Now it's one of the most chain-oriented shopping streets in the city. Marina District living is all about buying hip sh*t, so Apple will be right at home.

I'd love to see Apple think different and expand into the market of low-middle class accessibility, outside the classy suburban and urban bastions.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I'd love to see Apple think different and expand into the market of low-middle class accessibility, outside the classy suburban and urban bastions.

Those classy urban and suburban bastions you speak of are Apple's bread & butter. You don't see other high end stores in low-middle class areas either. A lot of people in those areas do not have as much disposable income. I think they probably have much bigger concerns on their plate.

ajlevine

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Never too many Apple stores

In my 40 minute commute, I come within a mile or two of 5 Apple Stores:
Corte Madera
All 3 SF Stores
Emeryville

Now that's convenient.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Given how busy the other two San Francisco stores always are, then yes: it does make sense to open a third store in town.

I'm ashamed to say I live within easy walking distance of the new Chestnut Street store. That part of town (Marina / Cow Hollow) is a true yuppie/post-frat boy nightmare. At least there will be plenty of affluent buyers nearby to keep the portable POS terminals busy, and Chestnut Street is not as averse to new chain stores coming in as some other retail districts in San Francisco are.

So yeah, I'll take advantage of the new location, for sure.

Thought they should open an Apple Store where the original San Francisco Tower Records was at Columbus & Bay. Landmark location with PArking

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Chestnut in the 80s was the most old-world SF neighborhood left, with old ladies shopping at butchers and bakeries, buying edible apples and chatting with friends. The 89 earthquake shook it up. Now it's one of the most chain-oriented shopping streets in the city. Marina District living is all about buying hip sh*t, so Apple will be right at home.

You mean like Valencia Street in the Mission (SF)? I would love it but most of us Mission types hate any chain coming in. If they made iPods with tattoos then they might be allowed.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
You mean like Valencia Street in the Mission (SF)? I would love it but most of us Mission types hate any chain coming in. If they made iPods with tattoos then they might be allowed.

Ah, Valencia Street, the land of Macbook-toting, track-bike riding hipsters.
I think they should open an Apple store right next to Ritual Coffee.
After all, on any given day, there's like 20 to 30 Apple laptops in there...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
So who's thinking about venturing out for the grand opening? I normally wouldn't dream of facing the hordes on Black Friday, but this tempts me. Not sure how much they're publicizing the opening, so it may not be insane in there.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
They need them, every Apple store I've been to was packed.

We could use one up here, concord perhaps. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.