Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obafgkm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
I have a late 2009 iMac (purchased in 2010) that is eligible for the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

I live about 30 miles from the nearest Apple Retail Store. There is an Apple Authorized Service Provider in my town.

Is there any reason to take the iMac to the Retail Store for service, or should I just go to the Authorized Service Provider for the hard drive replacement? I don't have any history with either establishment, so I don't know about the quality of the repair work of either.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
My gear always comes back pristine from the Apple Store. YMMV with an AASP.

I'm part of the recall as well, but I think I'll wait a while. I would guess there might be an initial mad rush to have this work done, and my Seagate drive is working just fine (2 years, 10.5 months at this time).

DoubleVision19

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
The closer the better...save gas and the long lines my friend. Most (you'll have to place a "trust" relationship with the technician) Authorized Apple Service Repair Centers are as top notch at the Apple Store you know. Besides, if you ever took a unit in for repair to an Authorized Apple Repair Center other than the Apple Store, you can just submit a complaint to Apple and have them either not pay the repair shop or worse case; revoke their license as an AARC. When I used to work for an AARC, I've always treated the units that came in for repair as if they were my own:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.