Apple retail store pricing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kanit, Aug 1, 2011.

1. kanit macrumors member

I have a question about apple retail store pricing. I am in California and if i buy from Apple online store the price of the laptop comes out to be 2200$ + taxes so the total is around 2400$. I wanted to know if the retail stores will also charge this tax, ie will the 2200$ model cost 2200$ or 2400$

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

yes. $2400.

Why would a B&M store in California not charge tax?

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't see why they wouldn't, they are bound by law to charge tax.

4. kanit thread starter macrumors member

Well i remember reading this post about someone who asked if Apple retail stores had Hi res screen MBPs in stock cause he did not want to buy online to save tax, guess i just assumed that maybe sales tax was only on online purchases.
    I can understand why the online store tells you a lower price cause they dont know what state are you from thus they have no idea about the taxes they are gonna charge you but why the hell are the prices in the retail stores without taxes. The Grove Apple Retail Store has a MBP 15 model that i really want, but i was only buying from a retail store cause i thought that would save me money.
    Wish Amazon had a few with the Hi Res display in stock.

5. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

For a guy who goes to CalTech you're not that smart. :p

6. bluebermuda macrumors regular

bluebermuda

If you are a student at Caltech I am assuming that you are a foreign student. My brother has a Phd in mathematics and teaches computer science. Most of his students are foreign since the vast majority of Americans are mathematically illiterate.

In America when you purchase from a company in another state and that company does not have nexus ( offices, stores etc.) in your state they are not required to charge sales or use tax. You are suppose to report the use tax on your state income tax form however it is impossible to track and only a fool would report and pay the tax. How many people report sales tax for products that they purchase from Amazon?

Personally, I would never purchase merchandise directly from Apple due to the fact that they charge and collect sales tax. There are many well respected Apple retailers online that discount Apple products, offer rebates and in many cases give away free printers, software etc. with your purchase + they do not charge sales tax. Check out Amazon, Macconection, MacMall, B&H Photo, J&R, Powermax and Sweetwater. Depending on the model you could easily save $400 or so through discounts and avoidance of sales tax.

If I am correct and you are a foreign student at Caltech, welcome to America!

7. kanit thread starter macrumors member

Lol, you're right am a foreign student, just did not have any idea about the American sales tax.
    Heres the problem i am facing, i only have an international credit card and i will be charged an additional 20% for any purchase i make using a credit card so i am looking for a cash purchase. An Apple store near me has a nice MBP 15 with the Anti Glare display but it is with a 2.3ghz 2820qm which i dont need, so i will be paying an extra 250$, that takes the price to the same online price, i have a strict budget of 2500$ and am having a hard time finding a good MBP.
    If it comes to the worst i am gonna grab a stock 2.2 MBP from one of LA's stores.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Apple Store online does accept wire transfer or you can mail them a check/money order.

9. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

His state might have had a tax free weekend. You should check macconnection.com