Apple Retail Store Student Discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matt-, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Matt- macrumors member

Hi all (new to the forums so bare with me), I searched the forums for an answer to this but no luck.

I am looking at getting a base model Retina, I go to university so that makes me entitled to the student discount which is great. Here in Aus though there is this student organisation/website called StudentVIP which gives you a 12% discount through the Apple online store as opposed to the 10% discount in the Apple Education store.

I know I can get the 10% discount at a retail store but I want to know if I can get the 12% discount at a retail store?
    (Because I don't want to wait to get my new Mac :p)

Thanks muchly to anyone who can help!

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I'm not sure how many Australians we have on here, but you might get a faster response by calling the organization.

3. Matt- thread starter macrumors member

(Such quick replies it's great! Thanks!)
    Should I call Apple or StudentVIP...?

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Read more carefully, please.

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

It's extremely unlikely, you're getting discount through a third party not apple.

6. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Actually, that's not correct. Organizations can set the discount rate for its members. These discounts usually apply at both the Retail and Online stores, but OP should call ahead to verify.

7. Matt- thread starter macrumors member

I definitely can get a slightly bigger discount through the online store because I've gone through the steps up until checkout just to see so yeah.
    End up saving an extra $45 AUD which I would spend on Pages&Numbers

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

So the discount applies in-store?

Also, I see that you're from Perth, do you hear a lot about Tim Winton? I just read one of his most recent novels last month, Breath.

9. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

if u read the apple store edution site u would know it applies in stores...>>

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Are Pages and Numbers that good of an application? I haven't seen much of them but they appear quite basic and lacklustre? If there's something MSoft do well it's Office applications. Then again, they probably don't like the idea of updating the application until high resolution displays become more common.

11. ZacT94 macrumors regular

Why didn't I find this website before I bought my rMBP? I bought mine a month ago when JB hi fi had a 10% off sale. I am feeling so stupid now.

12. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

hmmmm....

13. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Please read the original post more carefully.

Numbers is a piece of ****, but Pages is actually very good. If you're used to Word, there will be a learning curve, but it's superior in almost every way, save for the rare moments when you will have to figure out how to do certain things by yourself due to the smaller userbase online.

14. Matt- thread starter macrumors member

(Not sure yet about the discount but I have emailed the StudentVIP people, might go into the Apple store Monday and see if they know)

But about Tim Winton I can remember studying a book of his in ninth grade but that's really about it :p

15. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I see, thanks :p

16. Matt- thread starter macrumors member

(In case anyone else wanted to know)
    I just got a reply from the StudentVIP people and the discount applies to the online store only!

Thanks everyone for who helped n' stuff!

17. kzhlin macrumors member

Apple is also offering the free $100 gift card for student purchases. At least here in the U.S. Don't know about AUS.

18. Matt- thread starter macrumors member

I remember they used to offer it in Aus back in Feb/March when the academic year was starting but it ended in April I think. Would be nice but I guess it won't come back until next year (if it does at all?)