Apple Retail Stores in Australia?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Several sources have informed AppleInsider that Apple plans to open at least two of its own retail stores in Australia this year, starting with stores in Sydney and Melbourne.

The Apple Australia event for Apple's business partners on January 12 was rumored to be a possible sign that the iTunes Music Store would open in Australia. Now there is another possibility: retail store announcements.

There are currently Apple retail stores in 29 U.S. states, as well as Tokyo, Osaka, and London.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
apple expanding..

i really feel good about the next few years for apple. they are making some good moves. if even half of the rumors are true this week (and indicative) this is going to be a very good year for apple!

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
this will definately help apple with mac/ipod sales. It's always good to have a store with personell that know what they are talking about too ;)

Hewy01

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
Sydney
Australian Apple Stores

I'm sure the Apple store in Sydney will improve sales and help promote the brand. Apple in Australia need to seriously improve some other aspects of their business however.

Most of the resellers in Sydney for Apple have atrocious service - especially when it comes to repairs and support (even simple stuff takes forever and costs a fortune). The dorks wearing headsets at the Apple stores could dearly use some customer service training.

It is a good thing that Apple's products kick-butt in the quality and reliability stakes because if we had to deal with these turkeys on a more regular basis it would drive us nuts.

k28

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Where is it going to be?

where is it going to be? I think it passiblely locate at world tower. What do you think?

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
swissmann said:
How about retail stores in Utah. Is there a map that shows the locations of current stores?
Apple plans on opening a store in Salt Lake city at the GAteway center downtown ibn a few months. (Spring or Summer)

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Wowsers.

I would kill to get a job at the melbourne apple store.

Absolutely kill.

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
Where is the announcment for the Mini in Tallahassee, Florida. Please Apple! PLEASE put a mini in Tally. All the mac placs in South Georgia and North Florida sucks.

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Macrumors said:
The Apple Australia event for Apple's business partners on January 12 was rumored to be a possible sign that the iTunes Music Store would open in Australia. Now there is another possibility: retail store announcements.
Apple Stores in Australia isn't a possibility - it's a fact. Apple has been squeezing the life out of the resellers here over the last year. "Sell more product, or we charge you more for it".

Incidentally, PayPal is now available in Australian dollars. It may be sheer coincidence, but it does lend weight to the idea that iTMS will be available in Australia.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I hope it's true. I think a good spot would be somewhere on Pitt Street, would get lots of traffic there, but I'm not sure how big the floorspace would need to be. Maybe they could kick Swatch out of their prime spot on the corner :)

urbangrind

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
I agree

Hewy01 said:
I'm sure the Apple store in Sydney will improve sales and help promote the brand. Apple in Australia need to seriously improve some other aspects of their business however.

Most of the resellers in Sydney for Apple have atrocious service - especially when it comes to repairs and support (even simple stuff takes forever and costs a fortune). The dorks wearing headsets at the Apple stores could dearly use some customer service training.

It is a good thing that Apple's products kick-butt in the quality and reliability stakes because if we had to deal with these turkeys on a more regular basis it would drive us nuts.
I agree! Here in Brisbane the service is shocking. I would convert about 10 people to macs a year, and I have to take them to Apple shops and do the sell myself, otherwise some other twit will screw it up.

I am concerned that this Apple Australia event might not me iTunes music store, but I would be happy to see the new retail stores. I hope Apple puts one in Brisbane. Then we wouldn't need to go to any of these other shops that don't deserve our business.

To be fair though: Apple New Farm is ok, if you can be served by Lucile, otherwise The Music Lab is where I like to take people if we already know what we want, otherwise they basically sell music products and macs as a side thing.

Apple Australia does need a shake up.

walexx

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Sydney
Ive always said an Apple Store in the city would be awesome. I think the perfect location would be Victorias Galleries. It has that elegant Apple feel about it. If only Freedom where not there, that would be the perfect spot.

Otherwise Pitt Street Mall is definately the prime spot. I hear there will be alot of work going on there with the redevelopment of Centrepoint and some towers going up, so who knows.

All you Sydney siders, where do you think would be the perfect Apple Store location ??.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
(sadly) this is much more believable than ITMS for Australia (please, please can't we have both :)

I hope a Melbourne store is announced at the same time rather than just soul-less Sydney ;-)

restless~native

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
Salt Lake City
you better pray...

bennyek said:
Apple plans on opening a store in Salt Lake city at the GAteway center downtown ibn a few months. (Spring or Summer)
If this is true, I'll be sooo happy that I might cut my hair and go back to church. :D

If not, I'll continue my downward spiral, sipping Chai at the Liberty Park Beans & Brew on the Sabbath while reading the City Weekly.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
walexx said:
Ive always said an Apple Store in the city would be awesome. I think the perfect location would be Victorias Galleries. It has that elegant Apple feel about it. If only Freedom where not there, that would be the perfect spot.

Otherwise Pitt Street Mall is definately the prime spot. I hear there will be alot of work going on there with the redevelopment of Centrepoint and some towers going up, so who knows.

All you Sydney siders, where do you think would be the perfect Apple Store location ??.
Westfield Parramatta! Macquarie Centre! Marrickville Metro!

Actually I think the best location would be the approximately bathroom-sized Apple dealer on the Randwick UNSW campus. I don't think I've ever seen a smaller computer shop. 2 customers and it's full.

Errr...seriously for a second, yeah Pitt Street Mall would be good simply because of the huge pedestrian throughput.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know Sydney too well, but anywhere near Pitt St would be good. If they're going to put it in a shopping mall, Westfield is quite fancy shmancy.

If they put it in Wollongong, I'd be f***ing shocked. :p

MAC1 has horrible service. I think they work on commission and would tell you anything to sell you something. There's only 1 real Apple reseller in the 'Gong, and I go in there regularly enough that 2 of the full-timers will recognize me and always try to help me, since I'm familiar with them. Problem is that I think they're complete morons, and I know more about their product than they do. That's a problem not only to other customers, but because I don't know too much about Macs when I look at some of you guys.

I look ace when I talk to them. :p

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I'm guessing King's Cross in Sydney. It's just slightly more likely than Wollongong, or Penrith even. Speaking of Penrith, Apple's a little late to take over main sponsorship of the Panthers, but maybe they'd like to do that for Wests Tigers soon.