Apple Retail Stores in Seattle and Palo Alto to See Grand Openings This Saturday, June 30

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has confirmed that its new retail location at the open air University Village mall in Seattle will open to the public at 9:30 a.m. local time on Saturday, June 30. Apple University Village will replace the current Apple retail store in University Village, which it has occupied since 2003.

[​IMG]

The new location is a standalone structure and will include all of the highlights and amenities of Apple's current crop of next-generation retail stores. Reports from GeekWire indicate the store takes up about 14,000 square feet of a former parking lot that measures 23,000 square feet. Of that amount, 8,000 square feet will be dedicated to a sales floor and sit-down areas for Today at Apple sessions.

[​IMG]
    Photo of Apple University Village taken by Nat Levy via GeekWire

On the same day, Apple has also announced its location in Palo Alto, California will see a grand reopening at 10:00 a.m. local time this Saturday. This location originally closed for renovations just over a month ago on May 13.

In an interview at Cannes Lions last week, Apple senior vice president of retail Angela Ahrendts said that "retail isn't going away" or "dying," but it will have to "evolve" as time passes. In its own efforts to evolve retail, Ahrendts mentioned that Apple tries to "humanize technology" with next-generation layouts that emphasize communal gathering and encourage interactivity during Today at Apple sessions.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores in Seattle and Palo Alto to See Grand Openings This Saturday, June 30

2. NashMan2 macrumors regular

Perhaps a dumb question, but the Nashville Apple store closed 5 months ago to be enlarged. This is an indoor mall location. They say it will be ready in October. Why so long to build essentially a big large white room with lots of wifi? The back of house cannot be that difficult to build.

3. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

The name “Apple University Village” is a great example of why the word “Store” should have never been removed from the name.

Removing “Store” was the decision made by the clueless Angela Ahrendts, who was hired by the clueless Tim Cook. If Cook actually had a clue, he would've done everything he could to rehire Ron Johnson.

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

What’s wrong with Apple University Village? University Village is the actual name of the mall. It’s right next to the University of Washington campus.

5. ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

I've been patiently waiting for the U-Village store to make the move. The current store, though larger than a lot of the other ones I've been to, is obscenely busy all the time so there's nearly no room to walk.

6. zachkolk, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018

zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

Apple Retail sounds much better than Apple Store. Apple University Village doesn't sound bad in any way, in fact better than Apple Store University Village. And Ron Johnson is why Apple almost went out of existence in the 90s.

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Well they’re not just stores hence why they are making it more region specific. Coding sessions, photo walks, etc it’s more than a store so it makes sense

8. FelicityW macrumors regular

Well, I agree with your view of Angela Ahrendts. The Apple Watch rollout was a debacle of epic proportions and I still burn at the move of an Apple innovation being a viewed as a fashion statement rather than a fumctional device with beautiful form. Waaay too much focus on cases and bands, and the manadatory combinations were restrictive and ridiculous. The Apple Stores added a new elitist air with the watches under glass and appointments for ‘try ons’. From the moment, the watch came out, I was pretty sure its driving force would be health applications, not the Hermès bands.

9. gerwitz macrumors newbie

How does it make sense that Apple has no store in the central Seattle retail districts? Are they waiting for just the right property?

10. deebinem macrumors newbie

deebinem

I'm wondering what their SOP dictates for distance between two locations? Since there's one down in South Center and one over in Bellevue, I'm wondering if that's affecting the decision?

I'd be all for a downtown location as well, especially after seeing Brooklyn's new location a few weeks back.

11. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I was disappointed they didn’t do t-shirts for this particular grand reopening, especially considering how big the change from the old store to the new one was.

12. Bud Kauffman macrumors newbie

When is the Apple Store at Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood scheduled to reopen?

13. JB1Smith macrumors newbie

If you look at the current construction site at Elliot and Broad St (southernmost corner), on the north end of downtown, you'll see that the ground floor is an existing brick building, but above that, "on the roof" if you will, is a new structure that resembles the roof of the new store at university village.