Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A selection of Apple retail locations are now selling the One Drop Blood Glucose Monitor, reports CNBC. The One Drop Blood Glucose Monitor is designed to give people with diabetes a way to track blood sugar through the Health app.

Apple has long offered One Drop glucose monitoring products through its online store, but has recently transitioned to offering them up in some retail locations as part of what CNBC calls an expanded focus on the health space.

one-drop-apple-store-800x597.jpg
The introduction of OneDrop is a prime example of how Apple is breaking into the health space by selling consumer-oriented products and integrating the data from them in its Health app, making the iPhone and Apple Watch hubs for people's personal health.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has said multiple times that he believes one of Apple's major contributions to the world will be in the health space. "Apple's most important contribution to mankind has been in health," he said earlier this year.

Available for $70, the FDA-approved One Drop includes a Bluetooth-enabled blood glucose meter, a chrome lancing device, test strips, and a carrying case.

The blood glucose monitor can read results in approximately five seconds, transmitting the information to the One Drop app and the Apple Health app.

A limited number of Apple Stores are carrying the One Drop at the current time, but availability is going to expand to most Apple retail stores across the United States in July.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Now Selling One Drop Blood Glucose Monitor

Last edited:

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Too expensive for what it is. I can get one for free at any pharmacy here...

Last edited:

hopegrad

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
I manage a diabetes clinic and we can barely sell anyone on the Bluetooth capabilities of the One Touch VerioFlex. CGM is what people want, no one gives a crap about a pretty lancet, a finger prick is a finger prick.

Amen. Don't understand the buzz around this product. The Apple Store attempted selling a branded Sanofi glucose monitoring product in 2012 and it quickly disappeared from the stores in about a year due to what I understand were less than impressive sales. CNBC should update its story to reflect reality. I'm all for Apple getting into the health space but the existing integration between Dexcom's continuous products and iPhone and watch products is much more impressive IMO. Here's a link to the Sanofi product debut from 2012. https://www.mobihealthnews.com/17189/apple-stores-now-sell-sanofis-iphone-glucose-meter

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Be careful, those free ones aren't very accurate. You can get into trouble when it doesn't reflect your real readings

I don’t give that much merit these days. Most of them are free knowing the money is on the strips sold afterwards. Comparing most these days, they are all very close in accuracy. Verio One-Touch has had a pretty decent one, Bluetooth companion app, but as others mention, CGM game is where this is all heading. I use the Freestyle Libre for now due to advantages like a two week use per sensor, and being able to scan directly with my iPhone. I make due with the slight inaccuracy (often matches, or up to 2 mmol/L lower recording than a blood strip test). The Dexcom G6 isn’t available in Canada yet (I hear they have manufacturing volume troubles), or I might consider it... but still, the G5 needs daily calibration, more awkward sensor, ten days use, and still, pricier, for now. But, in time, other choices will come.

CGMs are SO much better no matter how much faster the blood testers have gotten over 30 years. with a phone swipe, I can easily spot sugar spikes and lows throughout a day, and adjust fast acting insulin accordingly. That is a game changer. I thank them for effectively highlighting for me the ineffective basal insulin i was on: Lantus (Sanofi). And, as good as it gets so readily being able to see overall sugar patterns so easily, for me of equal importance was getting on a better insulin. Tresiba I feel has increased my energy levels, and made me feel fifteen years younger.

Reactions: Coluch

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I manage a diabetes clinic and we can barely sell anyone on the Bluetooth capabilities of the One Touch VerioFlex. CGM is what people want, no one gives a crap about a pretty lancet, a finger prick is a finger prick.

Yeah, as a clinical pharmacist I can say the primary factor, as with most things in healthcare, is what their insurance pays for. We all know the manufacturers sell the meters dirt cheap and then make their money off the test strips.

Fancy glucometers with Bluetooth and color screens also only do so much when a sizable percentage of diabetic people don’t actually monitor their blood sugar as they should.

I agree, CGM is the future.

Kim Harris

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2019
Eh. CGM is the new wave. Less pricking of fingers, patients are more happy that way. This probably won’t stick around long.
Can not agree more, glucose strip business is shrinking about $1B every year. After people started using Abbott's FreeStyle Libre sensor with NightRider as a continuous glucose monitor(CGM) less people are opting for strip based glucose meters. In fact One drop should buy NightRider maker Ambrosia to stay in the game and start supporting FreeStyle Libre sensor else Glooko or Livongo will buy them.

Reactions: Jas_mina

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
Eh. CGM is the new wave. Less pricking of fingers, patients are more happy that way. This probably won’t stick around long.

With the Dexcom G6, no pricking of fingers, ever. Although I personally didn't have a problem with that. But what's huge with CGM is knowing whether your numbers are going down, steady, or going up. Dexcom is being flooded with orders for G6 supplies, and there was a delay in shipping new sensors, so I had to go back to fingersticks for about a week, and not knowing which way my blood sugar was going was just awful.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Ah, I too like to imagine a world where pt compliance isn't a problem

I’m convinced the more severe but treatable the problem, the worse compliance you see.

I suppose if a shiny iPhone-linked glucometer gets people to be more compliant with testing their blood sugar and managing their diabetes then I’m all for it. I doubt that will be the case though.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
I’m convinced the more severe but treatable the problem, the worse compliance you see.

I suppose if a shiny iPhone-linked glucometer gets people to be more compliant with testing their blood sugar and managing their diabetes then I’m all for it. I doubt that will be the case though.
Unless tx is opioids - compliance is through the roof in those cases!

Inclined to agree, human aversion to routine and being pin cushions will likely prevail over new shiny. But, trying to beat your work colleague's 14 day normal BGL streak might just tip the scales.

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
With the Dexcom G6, no pricking of fingers, ever. Although I personally didn't have a problem with that. But what's huge with CGM is knowing whether your numbers are going down, steady, or going up. Dexcom is being flooded with orders for G6 supplies, and there was a delay in shipping new sensors, so I had to go back to fingersticks for about a week, and not knowing which way my blood sugar was going was just awful.
I’m in the middle of a clinical study with the Dexcom G5, and so far, I’m unimpressed. It is reasonably accurate as long as my blood sugar isn’t changing rapidly, but if it spikes up, the G5 may show no increase at all. I do more finger sticks with it, just to try and understand how accurate it is, and when to expect it to be way off. I hope other CGMs are better than the G5!

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
yup. Trust me I know. Im in the pharmacy so seeing this all first hand and counseling new patients on it. Our biggest problem right now is getting their insurances companies to cover it in the first place.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The FDA requires a level of accuracy for all the devices they approve. Which meters have you found to be inaccurate?

I'm a Type II diabetic. The FDA is looking the other way. There is something rotten here. There are some meters on the market that are nearly worthless and a lot of them are inconsistent.

The TrueMetrix brand sold by Walgreens is one such brand that's pretty bad. The Wal-Mart Relion brand is also on the wild side, though not nearly as wild as TrueMetrix. Being inconsistent is the worst because you really never know if you should respond to the results. Even many of the good meters have a significant overcount or undercount problem, but at least in those cases you can at least reliably spot trends. A spike is a spike and a dip is a dip.
[doublepost=1561825835][/doublepost]

I don't think CGM is quite as strong of a solution for borderline Type II's, which I am one of. I'd love to do less finger pricking, but on my better days I don't do that much finger pricking so having to wear an abdominal meter would be overkill. The way things are going, there are going to be a lot of mild Type II's who'd still be finger pricking and need lots of encouragement or assistance to stay on the program.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The FDA requires a level of accuracy for all the devices they approve. Which meters have you found to be inaccurate?

Ok, so instead of me shooting my mouth off about how crappy most of the meters on the market are, take a look at the results of this study produced by the Diabetes Technology Society.
https://diatribe.org/are-blood-glucose-meters-accurate-new-data-18-meters

The results were troubling: only six out of the 18 devices met the DTS passing standard for meter accuracy – within 15% or 15 mg/dl of the laboratory value in over 95% of trials.
According to market share data from the US government, about 68% of the Medicare mail orders for BGMs in 2016 were for meters that did not pass the DTS standards.

Just speaking from my own experiences, the impact of an unreliable meter far exceeds its error rate. I've owned some really bad meters before, but even those were mostly in the ballpark most of the time. They would only be off the rails wrong just often enough to make it hard to trust when they were showing an unexpected result... and that is precisely when you need to trust your meter.

Jas_mina

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
I'm a Type II diabetic. The FDA is looking the other way. There is something rotten here. There are some meters on the market that are nearly worthless and a lot of them are inconsistent.

The TrueMetrix brand sold by Walgreens is one such brand that's pretty bad. The Wal-Mart Relion brand is also on the wild side, though not nearly as wild as TrueMetrix. Being inconsistent is the worst because you really never know if you should respond to the results. Even many of the good meters have a significant overcount or undercount problem, but at least in those cases you can at least reliably spot trends. A spike is a spike and a dip is a dip.
[doublepost=1561825835][/doublepost]

I don't think CGM is quite as strong of a solution for borderline Type II's, which I am one of. I'd love to do less finger pricking, but on my better days I don't do that much finger pricking so having to wear an abdominal meter would be overkill. The way things are going, there are going to be a lot of mild Type II's who'd still be finger pricking and need lots of encouragement or assistance to stay on the program.

Hello. :) I don't think it's the solution yet for adult Type 1's too, for regret. The simple truth is just as you said above, "a spike is a spike and a dip is a dip". I have tried Libre when it first appeared. In my case, the time it takes to show the actual BG values is unacceptable. I used far more test strips checking the integrity of the sensor, not to mention the stress of having to wear and protect one more device attached to my body. IMHO it's only justifiable for children under the close supervision of their caregivers.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Can not agree more, glucose strip business is shrinking about $1B every year. After people started using Abbott's FreeStyle Libre sensor with NightRider as a continuous glucose monitor(CGM) less people are opting for strip based glucose meters. In fact One drop should buy NightRider maker Ambrosia to stay in the game and start supporting FreeStyle Libre sensor else Glooko or Livongo will buy them.

Have you seen the One drop app? I used it for a while last year and it was a hot mess. I don't know if they have cleaned it up since then, but if not those people should not be buying anything until they hire a decent UI designer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.