Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
You know, they wouldn't need to do this if they'd actually have a dedicated area for checking out in the stores!

My biggest beef with the apple stores is that it is generally chaos theory in practice! It's usually so busy that it's hard to get a salesperson... If you find something you want to buy, there's no indication where to go to pay for it, and you end up standing around trying to get a salesperson away from another customer so you can pay... So I guess this new plan will fix that issue.

But even when having a Genius Bar appointment - you need to know where to stand and who to talk to to "check in" for your appointment, and then where to stand so you'll hear your name when called.

In general, I just HATE trying to actually buy things in the store. They're great for checking out the new gear, but for actually purchasing I'd rather do it online or even go to the apple section of a Best Buy store...

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
I am sure there will be a transaction/audit log for self-purchases that employees could monitor from their iPod Touches to help with loss prevention. But I think it will mostly be trust based, if you're a theif you are going to try and steal it regardless.

blimey48

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Check out

There actually IS a dedicated check out spot in the Apple Store...look for the employee with an Apple bag on their back. Usually towards the back by the genius bar. They are there specifically for the purpose of ringing accessories/quick transactions. No, there is no big ass sign that says "CHECK OUT..." apple doesnt do that, it's not a department store or a best buy...

Having worked at Starbucks for many years, I know that I was often "zoned" to be in specific places at specific times. When I came into work and checked the daily schedule, I could see that I was supposed to work the espresso bar from 10-2, and then register #2 from 2-6. I imagine the Apple Store and other retailers work this way too...despite the customer's perception, there is actually an organized system behind the chaos.

So I am sympathetic to the fact that when an apple store guy says "i cant ring you out," or "i cant leave this spot," that it is because they are there for a reason. It's not because they are arrogant or whatever - people (customers) are self centered by nature, and they take it personally when they aren't getting help immediately, and they believe their situation to be unique. Rather than acknowledge that they are NOT in fact unique, and might just have to wait a few minutes, they say "oh this is just chaos, no one wants my business" as a defense mechanism.

anyway, sorry for my philosophical tirade on retail work...i spent maaaaany years contemplating this stuff believe me. glad to be out of it :p

disinfectant

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
New York City
There is (or was) no til. There's just employees with portable checkout things and a genius bar.

Not sure if things have changed since my experience.

arn

There's been a dedicated Cashwrap area in the stores for years now.
You just need to know where it is.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
He is correct in that they (employees of a store) cannot detain you and force you to show a receipt.

Amen brother!!

I actually bought a screen protector and bumper for my 4s and stopped to put it on at one of their tables. Some one that worked there (not sure of his position) came up to me and asked if I was doing ok. I of course told him yes I'm just putting on my screen protector. He stood there for a second then walked away to verify my purchase (at least I assume that's what he did) then he appeared a bit later and asked how I was doing again. I thought it funny that he would assume I would steal something and actually stop to put it on my device in the store.

Maybe he didn't think that at all but it sure appeared that way.

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
All these points are relevant, but apple are more cleaver than you think. The easy pay for customers app will only run on the apple store network inside the store and all staff have access to a new app that they can see live in progress transactions. so if they suspect someone is faking an purchase with the app they just look at in progress transactions. As for people just walking out with product it happens already so whats going to change with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.