* Apple Retail Stores will begin selling iPhone 3G at the hour they regularly open

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimmie Geddes, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Jimmie Geddes macrumors regular

2. elbirth macrumors 65816

I'm not going to click your link and support your blog whoring, but I'll assume by your title that what you're saying is that the Apple stores will open at 9 or 10am, whatever time it is they open every other day of the week. I seriously can't see this being the case seeing as how AT&T stores are opening to sell them at 8am, unless this is somehow part of the pact it has with AT&T whereby its soul was sold to them.

I was looking forward to going to an Apple store to get the full Apple experience when purchasing my phone, but if this turns out to be true, it's off to an AT&T store I go

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i can't see this being the case either, why would ATT start selling before Apple? If it is the case, I will just wait inline at ATT.

4. Spongey817 macrumors regular

The Short Hills mall that you mentioned isn't far off from where I live, however, I usually go to a closer Apple store. That store opens at 10 A.M., the same time the rest of the mall opens. Makes sense, I presume. Though it may depend on location.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Doesn't matter to me. Hopefully just means more people will be leaving for the ATT store and smaller lines at apple :).

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

You sure you didn't call two stores in malls? Even many AT&T stores have to wait for the mall to open before they can start selling them, it all depends on what the mall is willing to let them do.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It's a good point. However last year, in the mall by me, the Apple store was able to stay open even when every single store was closed. The mall kept one door open for anyone willing to come at the late hours for an iPhone, and had plenty of security everywhere.

8. elbirth macrumors 65816

he said he called the 5th Ave. store in New York, so I'm going to assume he actually called that store and didn't manage to call another one entirely. For those that haven't been, that store is a standalone one that is open 24 hours, so there's no mall entrances to worry about. Heck, there's not even a door that locks on that place as far as I could tell.

9. abooch1 macrumors regular

hey jimmie did you happen to ask the short hills store around how many they would have and if its nes to wait in line?

10. Jimmie Geddes thread starter macrumors regular

I asked the Apple Store at Short Hills (it's in a mall, mall opens at 10 a.m.) and the Fifth Avenue Apple Store (they're opened 24 hours as previously noted). The Manager said the Apple Store in Short Hills would not be opening early (I asked that), he said they'll go on sale at 10 a.m. when they open.

This could all definitely change because Apple is supposed to have meeting on July 6th, I'm just posting what I was told by 2 Apple Retail Store Managers.

"AppleInsider notes that Apple will be holding a worldwide meeting on July 6 with retail employees (possibly both AT&T and Apple Store) to discuss launch procedures for the iPhone 3G."

I asked both how many iPhone 3G's they expected to have and I got the same response as I did last year, they don't know. Last year all Apple Retail Stores had a lot more iPhones than AT&T stores (some AT&T stores sold out), so I am planning to go to an Apple Store.

11. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Maybe they are expecting to let the AT&T stores sell out early then file the rest of us through the Apple stores, which will never run out.

12. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

that's true. if this is the case i will be in line at AT&T.

13. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I'm waiting on someone to now state that they spoke with someone from Apple and they will start selling the iPhone 3G at 6:00pm. It seems like every day someone else claims to have "the" answer as to when the new iPhone will go on sale and other details. I am not going to believe any of these "rumors" until We get an official press release from apple and/or AT&T about when the new iPhone will go on sale.

14. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Think about this a little. IF AT&T states they will be open for sales at 8:00 a.m. (I assume this means the MANY stores that are not in malls), that Apple would have to individually deal with every Mall that they have a store located in..... to be able to open at 8:00 a.m. This would be a little hard to do, and would be on an individual store by store basis. Apple seems to like to be able to do things in every store at the same time. However, this won't be the case if they sell ALL day long as you have to take into consideration the different time zones.

15. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

"Full Apple Experience"

A bit off topic, but I keep seeing references to buying at an Apple Store in order to get the "Apple Retail Experience", "Full Apple Experience,", or whatever. What exactly is this? Do you get a blowjob with your 3G? :p

I have been in an Apple Store, it was nice, but to me not really any different than any other higher end mall-type store. What am I missing here?

16. iPaul macrumors regular

it is handed to you in a fancy bag by a man in a bright blue shirt who lives in his parents basement

17. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

What about 5th Ave. New Yorkers (who want to go to 5th ave) are in a completely different situation.

18. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Last year for the iPhone launch, I was waiting in line outside the Apple store. Throughout the day, Apple store employees would go down the line handing out free bottled water and they even went to the Panera right next to the Apple store and bought big containers of coffee and were giving out that for free to all the people on line as well.

19. MACsimus19 macrumors member

I'm just wondering which NYC store to go to. I don't want to deal with AT&T-last year they made me buy new line to get an iPhone which was ridiculous and clearly a violation of AT&T documented qualifications to procuring an iPhone. (I called up 5 mins after purchase and switched my line back but it was a hassle and I lost my rollover minutes).

5th ave is gonna be a sh*tshow...but it might also be fun.

SOHO isn't super convenient for me.

I'm thinking west 14th location FTW? Guess it depends on what time they open. I have a hard time believing they would let AT&T beat em to the punch.

20. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Well, I've seen malls that open their doors at 7 or 8 AM for those morning mall walkers. I've seen lots of those before.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You didn't get the memo.... Happy endings for an extra $100.00!

Boy could you imagine how many of the Blackberry fans would drop their phones in a heart beat for the new iPhone!

I think apple is missing out on a huge opportunity, here. :p