apple retail trip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CupertinoRat, Sep 1, 2011.

1. CupertinoRat macrumors member

went into apple store pretending i was gonna buy iphone 4 and try to get some inside scoop, to my surprise the sales dude said to me: wait, something wonderful will happen very soon that will blow your socks off.

Wow. I was shocked. Discuss.

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I'm surprised he mentioned it rather than getting a sale, but I don't take it to mean he actually knew anything.

People at Apple stores know about as much as any of us. They read the rumor sites and such just like we do. Retail employees are the lowest man on the totem pole, and they don't have any inside information until the VERY last minute.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Sales people generally know as much as we do, or less actually until the day Apple announces something we are in the dark.

4. JASApplications macrumors 65816

A Salesman isn't going to know when the next gen iPhone will be released.

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

7. CupertinoRat thread starter macrumors member

why all the negativity? Just passing the story on. I'm not saying what the sales guy said is true.

8. EvenStranger macrumors member

Spent 3 years working in a store. True story about the first iteration of the MacBooks. We got a call about 8:30am, before the store opened, with someone asking "Do you have those new black laptops?!?"

We replied that Apple hadn't had a black laptop since around 2000 and he said "But they're on the website!"

Confused, all we could reply with was "Really?!? Hold on... "

We checked, and sure enough, the new white and black MacBooks were on the front page. About 10:15 that morning, we received a shipment of about 75 new MacBooks.

That's how closely news is held!

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

About 10:18 that morning, they were sold out.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yup, worked at a Retail store for 3 years myself and this happened all the time. Of course all of us read AppleInsider and Mac Rumors all the time in the back of house during our breaks. The only time I ever got a scoop was when I caught a 20" iMac G4 in the stock room the night before it launched.