Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
52,116
13,744
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple is continuing its expansion of its retail presence with the May 19th grand opening of its 5th Avenue flagship store. The store is planned to be gargantuan, with Apple having secured 20,000 square feet of underground retail space with a stylish metal and glass "cube" above ground. Appleinsider has previously reported that Steve Jobs was mulling making a trip to New York for the opening.

Of note, May 19th has recently been speculated as a possible new release date for the MacBook (Thinksecret believes it will be next tuesday). If this speculation pans out, the grand opening could also serve as a launching point for the much anticipated Macbook.

On the international front, ifoAppleStore.com reports that France may receive an Apple store by the end of 2006 and another in 2007.
 

JoshH

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
69
0
Does anyone have pictures of the exterior of the new store?
 
Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
2,076
248
JoshH said:
Does anyone have pictures of the exterior of the new store?

I think it's still covered by these black panels making it look like the 2001 monolyth.
 
Comment

JoshH

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
69
0
MrCrowbar said:
I think it's still covered by these black panels making it look like the 2001 monolyth.

Ahhh... so we can jump around awestruck and mystified by its presence. Touch it. Jump back. Make some noise.

It's fitting, really.
 
Comment

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
4,001
0
10023
Stunning

JoshH said:
Ahhh... so we can jump around awestruck and mystified by its presence. Touch it. Jump back. Make some noise.

It's fitting, really.

I've seen it, and it will be
quite extraordinary.
 
Comment

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
1,494
0
Rockford MI
Even when the covers were over it a month ago I could sense the awsomeness from it. I think the construction workers were giving me weird looks because I was taking so many pictures:cool:

PS: That would be a sweet release date for the MacBook!

SuperSnake2012 said:
I'm going to the opening just for the possibility of meeting Steve Jobs :D :cool:

God if i lived their I would be in line 2 days early just to be sure to get a glimpse of him!
 
Comment

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
275
48
So. UT
I wish all these events were closer to home. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away. This makes me want to take a trip...
 
Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
3,527
253
I can't believe they'll release the MB on a Friday--they almost always release things Mon-Wed. Stuff that happens on a Friday gets a lot less press than stuff released other days.

I guess you never know with Apple, but with their ability to get product announcements covered by all the tech press, why squander that with a Friday release?

Anyway, I work in the city (for two more weeks--thank god I won't have to do this LONG commute too much longer! Also my new job will involve a lot more Mac development work :) ) to I think I'll go. Just in case! :D
 
Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
2,864
1,478
Falls Church, VA
iSee said:
I can't believe they'll release the MB on a Friday--they almost always release things Mon-Wed. Stuff that happens on a Friday gets a lot less press than stuff released other days.

I guess you never know with Apple, but with their ability to get product announcements covered by all the tech press, why squander that with a Friday release?

Anyway, I work in the city (for two more weeks--thank god I won't have to do this LONG commute too much longer! Also my new job will involve a lot more Mac development work :) ) to I think I'll go. Just in case! :D

They have released OS upgrades on Saturdays, remember :). Remember, that second paragraph is pretty much all speculation based on the fact that its around the time that the Macbooks are expected, it is going to be getting press coverage anyways, and the fact that Jobs is planning to be there.

Who knows, jobs might just be there for his beloved glass cube, but it might be more...
 
Comment

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
205
24
USA
fanbrain said:
I wish all these events were closer to home. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away. This makes me want to take a trip...
I feel your pain. The closest Apple store to me is in Atlanta, 2 hours away too. :(
I was there a few weeks ago and did not want to leave.
 
Comment

MarkAlanEis

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2006
12
0
2005_10_applestore.jpg
 
Comment

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,172
36
Lincoln,UK
QT Pro users beware

QuickTime 7.1 delivers numerous important bug fixes and addresses critical security issues. This update is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users
Installation of QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit http://www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.
 
Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,546
1,196
I suppose there must be a light shaft descending from the cube giving natural light to the levels below. And supposedly the elevator itself is glass, so there's ONLY glass above ground?

Should we start a pool on how long before a sci-fi movie does shooting there?
 
Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,776
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Maybe I'm an idiot... (don't respond to that! :p ), but when I read the earlier piece on this, I thought the cube was supposed to be INSIDE the white building that's apparently behind it. :eek:
 
Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
2,228
293
Saint Augustine, FL
Well, it's clearly more 'obvious' than the Soho store, which looks just like a post office, except for a small apple logo hanging out. Instinctively, I entered the building, however, but for non-Apple people, it could be a trick.

I guess you could look for that weird statue with 12 breasts and 6 butts that's across the street, and use that as a landmark for the Soho store.
 
Comment

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
588
0
Kennesaw, GA
i wonder what the store will look like in 10 years? cuz glass will get scratched EASILY...so will the outside have scratches and cracks all over it? will the glass staircase be all messed up? do u have any idea how much windex apple will have to buy?! will SJ invest thousands of dollars to keep it looking brand new?
 
Comment

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,172
36
Lincoln,UK
bill4588 said:
i wonder what the store will look like in 10 years? cuz glass will get scratched EASILY...so will the outside have scratches and cracks all over it? will the glass staircase be all messed up? do u have any idea how much windex apple will have to buy?! will SJ invest thousands of dollars to keep it looking brand new?
never mind about that - i wonder if apple want to pay me to clean there windows for them ( no pun intended ):D
 
Comment

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
2,064
59
Location: Location:
bill4588 said:
i wonder what the store will look like in 10 years? cuz glass will get scratched EASILY...so will the outside have scratches and cracks all over it? will the glass staircase be all messed up? do u have any idea how much windex apple will have to buy?! will SJ invest thousands of dollars to keep it looking brand new?
Stores like this in Manhattan usually have a crew of cleaners that clean glass windows etc every single day:eek: I expect nothing less here. Also glass is very durable. Sky scrapers here have had windows up for 20-30-50 years+ with no scratches.;)

This is just a 15 minute walk uptown for me (as well as some other MR members) So perhaps Ill take a walk up next Friday and record the events. Ill load the pics on MR afterwords...... Anyone really interested?
 
Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
2,864
1,478
Falls Church, VA
gloubibou said:
How about Jobs announcing MacBooks at the opening?

Did you read the article???

nagromme said:
I suppose there must be a light shaft descending from the cube giving natural light to the levels below. And supposedly the elevator itself is glass, so there's ONLY glass above ground?

Should we start a pool on how long before a sci-fi movie does shooting there?

Caprica baby!
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.