Apple Retakes Top Spot in Global Wearables Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has retaken the lead in the global wearable band market thanks to strong Apple Watch shipments in the third quarter of this year, according to new research data from Canalys. According to the data, Apple shipped 3.9 million units in Q3 2017, compared to 2.8 million the year previous.

Those figures gave the tech giant 23 percent of the market, placing it marginally ahead of the 21 percent recorded for Xiaomi, which briefly held the number 1 spot for the first time the previous quarter. Canalys estimates that the new Apple Watch Series 3 LTE accounted for only 800,000 shipments because of constrained supplies.

[​IMG]

According to Low, customers in China have so far been driven away by service disruption, therefore operators need to not only bring in more stock, but also work on their service coverage to cater for expected higher demand in the fourth quarter.

Xiaomi and Fitbit, which shipped 3.6 million and 3.5 million wearable bands respectively, also appear to have bucked the trend of a traditionally weaker Q3 by posting quarter-on-quarter growth. However, despite increased smartwatch shipments, Canalys estimates waning demand for basic bands meant the overall wearable band market fell 2 percent, totaling 17.3 million units. 

All indications point towards a comeback for the Apple Watch this year, thanks to Apple's wearable division promoting a "tetherless" experience and putting particular emphasis on the device's health features - factors that CEO Tim Cook was eager to highlight in his recent earnings call.
    Apple's entire wearables business was up 75 percent year over year in the fourth quarter, according to Cook. In fiscal 2017, it had already generated the annual revenue of a Fortune 400 company.

If supplies are able to meet demand, Apple could be looking at a bumper holiday season for Apple Watch, while the device's continued maturation could be further underlined by its medical potential, such as in the upcoming launch of the Apple Watch heart study. The study will use data from Apple Watch to see if it's possible to identify irregular heart rhythms and notify users when unusual patterns are detected. Indeed, the smartwatch may already be able to accurately detect hypertension and sleep apnea in users, according to a study published on Monday.

Article Link: Apple Retakes Top Spot in Global Wearables Market

2. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

3. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

“These are not the failures you’re looking for”

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Series 3 was huge for the Apple Watch this year with LTE. It puts the Apple Watch on another sector away from the iPhone from being tethered. And add in the capabilities of GPS, 50 m water resistance, faster dual core processor, the Watch has matured a lot since its inception in April of 2015.

5. naturalstar macrumors 6502

Happy to read this news. I was more excited for the Apple Watch than any other device during the keynote. I was waiting for LTE capability and finally purchased my first Watch with the Series 3. I absolutely love this device, wear it every day, and hopefully will have a story to share with Apple in the future. Can’t wait to see what future iterations bring.

6. Shalev macrumors newbie

Shalev

in love with my series 3 :)

the apple watch will evolve to a life saving device for a lot in a couple years from now

7. ChrisCW11 macrumors 6502a

I am sure Apple could brand a toaster and it would become the number one selling toaster of all time.

8. Alakagom macrumors member

Unrelated to Apple but it's nice to see Xiaomi doing so well. To offer such great hardware for the price they is amazing.

9. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Hmm! What makes you sure about that? Apple seem to bring products that believes people will be highly interested on. At least for the last decade. Toaster, Washing machine, Vacuum cleaner etc.... are left to Samsung.

Btw, I am using Apple Watch original since the first day it was released and still love it. Does exactly what I want it to do. I have used quite few mid range watches (more or less similar price) and never kept any of them for this long.

10. dilbert99 macrumors 65816

Rubbish, most people take their phone everywhere, apart from one or two use cases.

11. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

And I'm sure that if Apple decided to make a toaster, it would deserve to be the number one selling.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017 ---
    Funny, I see it as Xiaomi can offer that price because it has so far been able to avoid law suits in China.

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Rubbish. I don’t want to take my phone on the run, or do an errand near my place.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017 ---
    Well, Chinese labor is cheap and they don’t have to pay worker benefit as much as Western companies.

13. rols macrumors 6502

I gave up with Apple Watch not because it wasn't useful, I loved it, but it made my wrist so sore I couldn't wear it more than 1/2 a day out of a day, less by day 3. I tried it for 2 weeks and I was red sore and puffy. The desire to keep it on to track everything I do probably didn't make it better. The times I clicked-apple-pay were amazing but I was in quite a lot of pain and had to send it back.

This was a NIKE+, I run a lot, I sweat a lot, I live in the tropics. A watch covers a lot of skin and it sweats even in the aircon. I bought the 42 because I preferred the larger text, it's a fairly large watch on my wrist.

Is there something I missed here? I loved Apple Watch for the insight I got, the full health monitoring and very accurate energy counts, it was just way too hard to wear. If there's a way to mitigate that, I'll by another.

14. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Apple really should consider making Apple Watch compatible with Android...I think there's a lot of users out there who would pick up an Apple Watch purely because it's one of the best fitness trackers on the market. Plus it would give me the option of leaving iPhone in future.

But there's clearly several software issues involved in that, namely the fact that Apple Watch apps are designed to match up exactly with iPhone apps - none of which exist on Android (iMessage etc). But then, thinking about it, Android devices have equivalents of those apps - so maybe it wouldn't be so hard.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Pretty sure you're taking the joke by @ChrisCW11 a little too seriously. Kinda obvious he was poking fun at comments like the one made by Iconoclysm.

No judgement regarding your post. Just using it as an example. We all know how much you love Apple.

16. Alakagom macrumors member

And who manufactures Apple products? Same cheap labour in Taiwan.

17. nexu macrumors newbie

Loosen the band, it doesn't have to stick to your skin and stay in place all the time

18. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

You don't exactly qualify as "most people".:rolleyes: @dilbert99 is right. Most people are rarely separated from their phones. I honestly don't know if that's good or bad... I do know it just is.

19. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Pretty sure I have never read it. And one would be daft to think this won't happen. When the reason why people use a plug becomes less and less relevant.

20. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Did you try changing the bands? I had same problem with standard silicone bands that come with the watch.. My problem wasn't as severe as yours, but I had red skin and irritation... I bought leather straps and I do not have any problems anymore...

21. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Has MR mixed comments again? I've no idea what this comment means or what it's about. Are you commenting on wireless charging?

22. matrix07, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

..in China too, but Apple won’t get away with how Xiaomi treats their labor & supply chains.

23. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I was commenting about wireless in general. Having a future generation iPhone that won't have any ports at all (meaning not evening lighting port)
    Actually, looking at it is not MR fault but mine. Totally mixed up threads. And yeah, you are right.... I took his comment a bit too seriously.

24. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

And to think how big the potential is... LTE capable versions haven't even launch in the majority of markets yet.... That keeps all of the steel-loving buyers like me from upgrading

25. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I don’t know. I do know that I am not a tech person. Well, may be you’re right. I’m better than my wife at these things at least.