Apple Return Policy For MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Did Apple change their return policy recently? I don't see any mention of restocking fee on their website so I'm kinda confused.

Specifically, if I order a custom BTO MacBook Pro online, what is the return policy for it?

2. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

14 days from purchase, restocking fee of 10% still applies. My friend just returned his and had to pay a restock still.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

4. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Someone in another thread said 30 days with no restocking fees in those 30 days? So, take any answer with a grain of salt and call Apple to ask.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Refund within 14 days, exchange for newer model within 30 days.

6. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

so even if i order a bto mbp, i can return it within a few days and get ALL my money back? it will be UNOPENED if i end up returning it

7. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

The official policy is 30 days in the event of a product refresh, per two managers at my local Apple Store.

I recently exchanged my 2010 MBP 13" for the 2011 after 34 days.

8. menomano macrumors member

Would apple issue store credit for an unopened MBP that was bought online from another retailer like amazon/macmall/ etc ? Would they need a receipt?

thanks

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You have 14 days normally. There may be consumer laws on top of Apple's own policy.

I don't see why Apple should accept an unopened MBP from Amazon etc. It is nothing to do with them. You can always ask, but there is no right to that.

10. Tonepoet macrumors regular

This is Apple's full sales policy page. A BTO macintosh probably counts as "custom configured product" which is an order that cannot be canceled. The custom configured product hyperlink also refers you to the Return and Refund Policy which states:

I'm guessing a personalized product is a synonymous term to custom configured product. I think I've read on this site that Apple dropped their restocking fees for returns. I'm not too terribly certain about it but they certainly make no allusions to a restocking fee in their policies page, at the very least, so it might be true. I'd not count on it too terribly much because Apple employees often don't seem to be in the loop as to the official store policy.

Assuming it is, basically if you have any expectations of possibly wanting to return the thing, it'd be safest to buy one of the stock configurations from apple, try them out and return them before ordering online....

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I know in the UK the Distance Selling Regulations do not count configured computers as customised products. I don't know if it is the same in the US, but I wouldn't assume it is custom without more research.

12. Tonepoet, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

I'm assuming there is no applicable law in the U.S. because the UK store page has an entirely different policy With a hyperlink to a "Your Rights to Withdraw from the Contract and to return Faulty Products or Products which are not in Conformity" anchor. I'm assuming the differences are because Apple probably has lawyers reviewing their policies in every jurisdiction to make them applicable to the local law.

Tougher consumer protection laws may actually be part of why you U.K. folk get screwed on the prices: You're paying Apple's legal fees and unofficial returns insurance. :p

Then again, after reading the policy, it almost sounds as if you guys might not actually be able to returned a gingerly used product at all, unless it's broken. All of the "security stickers and packaging" have to be in place and I believe Apple forces you to break a sticker to open the shrinkwraped mac before use.

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm fully aware of that (law student!). I was just saying don't assume that a BTO is a custom, it is possible it is not.

I'm happy with higher UK prices because I don't need to buy AppleCare! :D

14. Tonepoet macrumors regular

Maybe but highly doubtful, considering how suggestive the language is and especially the redirect. If it came down to such semantics, you'd really have to be counting on being able to enforce the law too, which can be costly in and of itself. In the U.S. if you get awarded legal fees, which is unusual, you won't be reimbursed for lost wages, so you lose even if you win. I think OP would rather avoid that.

Also I wouldn't say that you don't need applecare. If I've been following the Sony OtherOS removal case properly, the U.K. requires the product to be fit for its suited purpose for at least two years, which is less than Applecare's 3. Also, phone support. ;-)

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Fair enough, I wasn't suggesting a court case! Just a thorough look on Apple's website etc.

In law products must be fit for purpose for a reasonable length of time. It isn't defined in law, it is on a case by case basis (although it is limited to a maximum of six years). 3 years for a Mac is an easy starting point, the fact that Apple offers 3 years AppleCare indicates that is a reasonable length of time. A £200 netbook maybe 1 year, a £2500 MacPro may be even more than 3?

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

The policy seems to have changed recently because it used to be that it wasn't possible to return a CTO Mac (in the USA anyway) unless it was DOA.

But.....I've just done a chat with the online store and the rep said several times that while engraved ipods can't be returned, a customized MBP can indeed be returned.

If I were the OP, I would call the store to verify before I buy.

17. menomano macrumors member

I ask because people have successfully exchanged laptops bought somewhere online at the apple store for various reasons.

a store credit is really a delayed exchange. It's all their product and it's unopened and they can sell it , so just wondering.

18. Ccrew macrumors 68020

No they won't return. The companies you mentioned are all resellers so it would go back to them and also be subjected to their return policy.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's not normal procedure, although immediately following a major launch, Apple Stores will sometimes bend a lot of rules to keep customers happy.

Generally speaking, if you bought your product from somewhere other than Apple, and you want to get a refund/exchange that product for a different product, you have to go through wherever you originally bought the product.

Warranty repair is an entirely different story. Regardless of where you bought your product, Apple will repair it during the warranty period. And again, right after a big launch, sometimes Apple will replace broken products with new products, regardless of where you originally purchased it. But that's a warranty repair thing, not the same thing as walking in with a perfectly fine 11" Air your purchased from Amazon wanting to exchange it for a 13" MBP because of a remorse issue.

20. menomano macrumors member