Apple return policy: On custom iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NStocks, Jun 25, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I understand that apple give a 14 day money back guarantee, although there is a chance that a 10% stocking fee will be charged ( rumors say that the stocking fee's are not always applicable). If i got a 24" iMac, but just upgraded the graphic's, and later decided that i dont want it ( which i doubt) is it still easy to return it within the 14 day period. And what if it was faulty within the 1 year period, would i still get the same spec brand new iMac?

Just thought i would ask as it crossed my mind today.

NStocks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Yep. BTO, CTO Macs are not returnable unless defective.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I believe the rules are different in the uk than they are in the states. I'd phone them up to make sure but I believe in the uk you are able to return a mac that was customised by apple but may have to pay restocking fee.

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/help/uk/consumer/returns.html

Just found link you can return customised mac up to 14 days after with no charge.

5. M-apple-T macrumors member

Don't worry dude your good. You won't be disappointed by the machine. Im waiting for mine for arrive but my friend has the 8800 and its nice. Plays games really well without lag. The only chance you would want to return it if the machine is defected. If anything and you don't like the card you'll be happy later on that apple made you keep the machine because snow leopard is suppose to make it even better and your machine will be more future proof.

6. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Here is Apples policy
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-20

CTO's canot be returned unless DOA. Apple will replace with a new unit however if it is defective.

If something goes wrong during the warranty period they will repair or replace it with new or refurbished parts. They can also replace the entire unit with a new one or one manufactured with new or refurbished parts (read that as a refurbed computer). See the warranty PDF at this link for details.
    http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, the rules in the UK look different.

UK:
    http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352...ages/salespolicies_consumer.html#Anchor-46919

US:

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Rules are different in the uk.

9. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Typical Yank I guess, goes around thinking everybody goes by US rules :)

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Lol I think they did until recently. I think someone worked out that the American policy might just be breaking British consumer law or at least pushing it to breaking point.

11. KernalROM macrumors newbie

You sound like me... I get serious "Buyers Remorse" when I spend that kind of money...

It's comforting to think the sale isn't final for a couple of weeks but I guess you'll be stuck with it when you buy it!

Bryan

12. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Dell tried this crap with my uncle (an attorney). Apparently there is a federal law that prevents companies from doing this. He dug it up and ended up getting a complete refund without restocking charges.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

ooooo...look at you. look at the tough guy with his very own attorney.

I totally believe you. Your uncle is so awesome.

14. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Ugh, the tough guy was the attorney. I wasn't the one who bought the Dell. Are you kidding? That's like Satan drinking holy water.

15. BYmac macrumors newbie

Call and ask

I just received my custom 24" imac in the mail yesterday. Before opening, I heard about the likely revision next month(Jan). So I called and asked if I could switch mine for whatever they came out with in January. A manager approved the return and a full refund!(I pay the postage)
    Don't you love great customer service!:)