Apple Return

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacLove1986, Jul 5, 2016.

1. MacLove1986 macrumors newbie

I received a MacBook as a gift, haven't opened it yet, and want to return it for store credit at an Apple Store if possible until the new MacBook pros come out. I don't want to ask where it was purchased because I feel like that's super rude. Will apple still take it back if it was purchased at Best Buy or elsewhere since I don't know, if I just want a store credit? I don't want cash or money back

Thanks!

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

No. Even the store at which it was purchased won't take it back without a sales receipt.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

When I worked for Apple Retail, returning an unopened (or opened and undamaged) computer for credit was the easiest thing we ever did.

Loss/theft prevention concerns will probably require a receipt now, though.

Ask for the receipt. I think people understand that laptops are pretty personal now, and it's not a terrible thing to want a slightly different version of something that's going to work better for you.

4. MacLove1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I have returned stuff without a receipt within the 14 day window, for a different model with no issues. Apple will have a record of the sale if it was bought legitimately so it shouldn't be an issue.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It can't hurt to try to return it. At best, you'll probably only get store credit, if that's ok. Otherwise, sell it online.