Apple returns policy - negative black issue on ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacCobbler, May 13, 2008.

1. MacCobbler macrumors newbie

Just a couple of things. I've bought a 16gb Ipod Touch from Comet - does anyone know (from experience or otherwise) if I can I still return it to an Apple Store if I believe there is a fault with it? I'm presuming I can, as it's under manufacturer warranty.

Also, I think I have the much talked about negative black issue. Its a classic case of not really noticing something until you're told about it, but I've run a couple of tests and, whilst its obviously not as bad as earlier models, the contrast does appear to be lacking on some content. I think it's a week 44, it's certainly pre-jan update. Have many people come across this? Am I worry about nothing (I do this quite a lot).

2. ramases macrumors member

Fire up your web browser and go to http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Choose your Apple store and book an appointment. You can then discuss the issues with the Genius and if necessary get a replacement there and then providing you can replicate the problems.

3. MacCobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the advice. Are appointments required, or can I simply turn up and wait for the 'next available operative'?

4. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

There shouldn't be any problems with negative blacks with week 39+ iPod Touch's... Hmmm

Just a random question, what FW version are you running, and can you take a photo and show us the problem?

5. MacCobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

Can possibly take a photo later. I'm running the latest firmware (v.1.1.4 or whatever it is).

It's odd, I agree, although I have read cases of week 40 Ipods having this issue. It just isn't right. The problem isn't massively pronounced, but it's enough to notice - particularly in low light conditions. You have to hold the ipod at slightly off-angles to see some detail in dark areas.

I've got a few things to test it with tonight and I fortuantely have an 03/08 8gb version to compare it to...

6. MacCobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I used this website: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small/ on both ipods and there are noticeable differences.

The 16gb (the one I suspect being bad) doesnt show up the squares in the contrast test anywhere near as clearly as the 8gb. in fact, you have to really move the viewing angle around to try and identify them.

This must be grounds for a replacement? I suppose I'll have to see what the Genius Bar say. Hopefully if I bookmark that page and show them, it'll help things...

7. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I'm not sure if they're required, but I would definitely make one just in case. I showed up without one and the guy had to make me one anyway which was for over an hour after I came in, and all I needed to do was switch out a DOA macbook battery.