Apple Returns Policy online order - How?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gigaguy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Used to be, online purchases had to be shipped back to Apple. now on my online order I see Apple says 'can be returned to any Apple store', but I also see the 'ship it back only' instruction somewhere else in my emails from Apple.
    Which is right? I want to return my unopened wifi 3, I have a 4g coming next week from a no-tax online seller.
    Also, can I open it? I'm holding off.

2. imlynxy macrumors 65816

This I also want to know. Iphone can be returned to apple via fedex if it was bought online. what about ipad?

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

4. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

You can return it to your nearest Apple store. I did exactly this on my lunch hour. Had the 32GB AT&T model delivered by FedEx this AM and decided I wanted the 32GB VZW model. Mine was open and they exchanged it without a problem.

5. gigaguy, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I didn't call apple cause I figured they were busy with other yahoos.
    scorpio, that's my new dilemma, att or vrz. I have an att 32 coming next week. my main decider is the plan choices/costs. I lived pretty well on the 250mb ATT plan but due to price hikes on my home broadband I'm considering using ipad more and less Roadrunner at home and sharing the verizon 3-5gb plans. decisions/

6. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I went with VZW because they have LTE in my city and AT&T does not. Not sure what I was thinking when I picked the AT&T model. Oh, well. Glad I was able to swap w/out issue. I would suggest going into your Apple store account and printing an invoice. I brought it with me to the store.

7. aperry macrumors 6502a

If you call Apple then they'll email you a Fedex return label. You pack the iPad back in it's original box, print out the label and tape it on, then drop it off at Fedex or schedule a pickup. Pretty easy IMO.

I just did this. Ordered an AT&T iPad and two days later decided I wanted a Verizon one (after Apple changed the data plans on the website, and the news broke about tethering, etc). I've been playing with the AT&T iPad all day, but the Verizon one comes on Monday and I'll be sending this AT&T one back.

8. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Can you return the iPad if it's already open and was used a bit to get another model? Because that's what I'm debating to do with my 16 gig Wifi model. To get a 32 gig instead.

9. aperry macrumors 6502a

Yes, as long as it's within 14 days and obviously still in new condition with original packaging. No restocking fee.

10. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

14 days from the date you receive it.

11. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Only bad thing is I would have to wait 2-3 weeks if I were to return mine. Since that's what the status is for online orders now.

12. vegastime macrumors regular

Do you have to pay for the return shipping, or, does Apple cover it?

13. emaja macrumors 68000

I walked in with my pre-ordered 16GB AT&T iPad and walked out in 10 minutes after exchanging that one for a 32GB Verizon model. It wasn't open and there was no hassle at all.

All your local Apple store and see if they have the model you want. I'll guess that they'll hold one for you if you ask - at least it is worth trying.