Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A recent change to the WHOIS registry for the domain name iPodSolar.com has confirmed that Apple is the owner of the domain, which currently redirects to Apple's iPod site. Apple appears to have registered the domain as long ago as early 2007, but the domain has been listed until recently as belonging to MarkMonitor, a brand protection firm used by Apple and other companies for such purposes.

ipodsolar_com_whois.jpg

Apple's interest in solar cell technology for its products has been evident for many years based on patent applications covering the technology. A report from several months ago indicated that Apple has indeed been holding discussions about solar technology with several Taiwanese vendors, although any such projects would still be in the research stage and not yet near a public release.

ipod_solar_cells.jpg

Drawing from Apple's new patent showing iPod with integrated solar cells
Coincidentally, Patently Apple reports that Apple was just today awarded a patent for a power management system that would enable the company to place solar cells on the exterior of devices such as iPods and integrate that power source with an internal battery. The patent was filed for in mid-2008 and was first revealed in early 2010 as the patent application was released to the public.

Article Link: Apple Revealed as Owner of iPodSolar.com

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet, I say iPhone 7

segers909

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

This would make sense for something like an iPhone sized iPod shuffle. Minimal power usage, lots of area to cover with solar cells. It could be the iPod that never has to be charged.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I agree. The concept is cool. But how many people have a case covering their iPod or iPhone currently. If not for aesthetics than just for protection from drops.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I don't see the hundreds of case manufacturers only making completely transparent cases, and anything else would inhibit the functionality of a solar cell.

striderida1

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

And apple still doesn't own icl0ud.com by the looks of it. That redirects to some fight room?? lol

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Guys...dont you see the picture????
This is for iPod Classic:))))

Just in time for the 10th anniversary as well.

Throw in the 220 Gig toshiba hard drive released this year, and you have a 10th anniversary edition solar-powered iPod Classic with 220 Gigs

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
The solar charge is not for everyday use, but as a backup method, especially during a field trip.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Even with 100% efficiency, there is no where near enough power generated by solar panels on the surface of any iPod device. Unlike common belief, you can not use solar panels indoors to 'trickle charge', and having any part of the panel covered reduces it's output to nothing.

You would be far better off using the space taken by the panel and DC converter to put a slightly bigger battery in.

If you want a 'solar charger', go buy one; Apple is never going to release an ugly device for the minority that would use it. Moreover, you have them in your pocket most of the time, get real.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I don't get it. Are people's phones and music players often sitting in the sun? Mine's in a pocket if I'm walking. Plus, what pewra said. Doesn't seem to be a useful tech.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Might be nice in the future but seems too impractical at the moment. Would be a unique feature, though.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
This would definitely be an interesting product. I for one would love not mind having to plug in my iPod to charge and if they could turn this into reality I would love it even more if it made its way over to the iPhone that would be the ultimate phone then hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.