Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pcalc-250x398.jpg
Yesterday, Apple told PCalc developer James Thomson that the Notification Center widget portion of his popular calculator app PCalc would need to be removed, as Notification Center widgets "cannot perform any calculations."

Following significant media coverage of the issue, Apple has now reversed course on the decision and according to an Apple spokesperson that spoke to TechCrunch, both PCalc and its Notification Center widget will be allowed to remain in the App Store, along with all other apps that contain calculator widgets.

The initial decision to remove Pcalc's widget was reportedly the result of a use case that Apple had not anticipated. Because it was not within the guidelines, an App Store reviewer told Thomson the functionality would need to be changed or it would be pulled from the App Store. It's likely the attention the removal received sparked a deeper review of the app, leading to the policy change.

Thomson's PCalc app was one of the first apps to be updated for iOS 8 and following its release, it was lauded for its convenient and unique use of the Notification Center in App Store reviews and in iOS 8 coverage from a variety of sites.

Apple itself features PCalc's Notification Center widget in multiple places in the App Store, including a section called "Extend Your Apps" featuring apps with unique widgets, and a "Great Apps and Games for iOS 8" section, which also features a selection of interesting Notification Center widgets.

PCalc can be downloaded from the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

PCalc Lite, a free version of the PCalc app, also includes the Notification Center widget. [Direct Link]

Update 10:12 AM PT: PCalc developer James Thompson has received a phone call from Apple confirming that the PCalc widget will be allowed to remain intact.

Article Link: Apple Reverses Course on iOS 8 Notification Center Calculators

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I doubt this was "media coverage" that spawned this, but rather, other details that needed to be taken care of and worked out before Apple took an official stance on it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I doubt this was "media coverage" that spawned this, but rather, other details that needed to be taken care of and worked out before Apple took an official stance on it.

As is usually the case.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
That sucks. PCalc is the best calculator for iOS and OS X. Limiting its functionality is a bad move, Apple.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I'll be honest. It doesn't look good in the notification area. I totally understood why apple would want control over what is in there.

Even if it's a choice. It hurts apples branding and messaging when someone goes out and loads their notification widgets to the brim. To the unexpecting they may think that's apples design.

This is one area I hope apple does retain control.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
The initial decision to remove Pcalc's widget was reportedly the result of a use case that Apple had not anticipated.

Yeah, the result was "we include a stock calculator as a default widget, get that other one out of here." But then someone said, "guys, it's only a calculator." And it was let back in.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Good. Things like that leave me shaking my head.

Another thing is that I cannot install any version of iwork or ilife on brand new 4S because I don't want to update to iOS 8. They let you install old version for other apps. :mad:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
dont understand why you would want to spend 10$ on a calculator widget.
you can get WDGTS app for free that has more functions and also a calculator.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I have almost every app turned off from Notification Center. I NEVER want to be notified, other than Messages, FaceTime, Calendar, Reminders, Wanderlust. Everything else, don't bother me.

Notification Center will go the way of Dashboard.

dtrobson099

Suspended
Apr 19, 2010
This is great news! Was planning on creating a specialized app that performs calculations in the widget area to eliminate app switching needs - glad I don't have to scrap those plans.

GrinningShark

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Funny thing is that on OS X Apple has a calculator widget in the notification panel, however on iOS they don't (not that I could find). Guess internally there is some conflict also. ;)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yeah this one made no sense, seeing as: Apple has a Calculator widget in the OS X NC, and...they promoted it as a Featured App under a dedicated section for widgets!

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I'll be honest. It doesn't look good in the notification area. I totally understood why apple would want control over what is in there.

Even if it's a choice. It hurts apples branding and messaging when someone goes out and loads their notification widgets to the brim. To the unexpecting they may think that's apples design.

Huh? It looks just as good as the default one.

By that logic apple shouldn't allow any 3rd party apps because people could mistake it as apple's design.

stewy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Kingston, ON

But if you own your device shouldn't you able to set it up the way you want?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This is great news! Was planning on creating a specialized app that performs calculations in the widget area to eliminate app switching needs - glad I don't have to scrap those plans.

Now if only I can get Safari, Mail, Aperture, iTunes, Transmit, Coda, Ember, and Pixelmator widgets, I'd never have to leave the Notification Center.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Wow, Apple isn't a control-freak tyrant after all.

Now, BRING BACK LAUNCHER!

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
how is that $10? what a complete waste

apple's calculator does more than enough and you can access it from the control center

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.