Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

See what we've done here is magical. we've taken our decisions and made them flexible. In fact, our new decisions are the most flexible that we've ever had. We're now able to take one decision - and immediately respond to the customer and developer by reversing that very decision for a seamless experience.

Hey, don't knock it. At least they are listening to the customer... It could be far worse.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Or if Steve were alive.

I don't know. With the problems I've had with iCloud, I'm asking the same question Steve asked about MobileMe: "So why the ******* doesn't it do that?"

I still can't understand the rationale for why Apple ID accounts can't be merged. I mean, they are both mine, only one does mail, scheduling, apps, books, music. I just want them to be ONE SINGLE ACCOUNT!

It's like I'm asking for Steve to be resurrected or something... Jeez...

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
I would wonder how many instances of PCalc were sold because of the widget feature and the vast positive reviews and comments hyping it not to mention Apple highlighting it.

I was one of those who decided that the widget feature put it over the edge even if it was $10. I was about to contact Apple regarding this and possibly ask for a refund if it was removed. While people asking for refunds wouldn't damage Apple much, I have to assume that it could be damaging to the developer if there were a large number of sales. I'm glad I don't have to now but I wonder if Apple not having their ducks in a row on this one might have had it open to an ugly legal issue with the developer.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
What is the point of downloading a calculator app and having it in your notification center, when all you have to do is swipe the control center up and tap calculator??

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I'm glad I don't have to now but I wonder if Apple not having their ducks in a row on this one might have had it open to an ugly legal issue with the developer.

Maybe, but I bet the developer terms of service (which I haven't read all that carefully :eek:) have a clause for that.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007

See what we've done here is magical. we've taken our decisions and made them flexible. In fact, our new decisions are the most flexible that we've ever had. We're now able to take one decision - and immediately respond to the customer and developer by reversing that very decision for a seamless experience.

Oh, the cringe...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
$10 for a Calculator app?

and there's an easy to access Calculator in the CC.

BUT...I suppose for some, the PCalc is a better/more useful Calculator app with more options. And a widget could be useful for some.

I keep wanting to say "PC-Calc"

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
how is that $10? what a complete waste

apple's calculator does more than enough and you can access it from the control center

it's the best calculator app on the app store. for people who need more than the stock app offers.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
That sucks. PCalc is the best calculator for iOS and OS X. Limiting its functionality is a bad move, Apple.

My guess is that it probably opened the door for other apps to use widgets in a way that Apple hadn't anticipated and Apple wanted to review this use.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
IIRC, this developer was one of the original OSX Dock team.

I don't know if this is true, but when working in Apple I heard a rumour that Jobs threw one of his infamous tantrums when he wanted Thompson to move to Cupertino but he refused.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I would wonder how many instances of PCalc were sold because of the widget feature and the vast positive reviews and comments hyping it not to mention Apple highlighting it.

I was one of those who decided that the widget feature put it over the edge even if it was $10. I was about to contact Apple regarding this and possibly ask for a refund if it was removed. While people asking for refunds wouldn't damage Apple much, I have to assume that it could be damaging to the developer if there were a large number of sales. I'm glad I don't have to now but I wonder if Apple not having their ducks in a row on this one might have had it open to an ugly legal issue with the developer.

Apple didn't really "highlight" it. Apps with many positive reviews get "featured" regardless of what they are and that list is computer-generated.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I have almost every app turned off from Notification Center. I NEVER want to be notified, other than Messages, FaceTime, Calendar, Reminders, Wanderlust. Everything else, don't bother me.

Notification Center will go the way of Dashboard.

No it's not. You don't like it, others love it. You're not #1 haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.