Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I don't like even the new version. What does that mean "One more thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone"? The aim here is to highlight the iconic nature of the iPhone. To give emphasis on the fact that the term iPhone stands by itself above the limits of a device as a cult symbol.

They should say "One more thing that makes an iPhone *the* iPhone". not *an* iPhone.

In other words, one more thing that elevates the iPhone from the status of just a device, to a single reference point, the standard, the touchstone, the criterion.. the iPhone as a symbol. I don't know if anyone else agrees with that. Thumbs up if you do..

Last edited:

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Well I'm relieved to see those nasty tag lines go...

I felt like the old ads were putting down people that had chosen concurrent products, instead of trying to show why iOS devices would have been a superior choice.

SoftDel

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
It insulted your mom? Idkw but that seems a little odd... Not an insult to your mom btw. It just kinda surprises me.

It surprised me, I was a little puzzled.
It's just an advert at the end of the day

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
As an advertiser, I liked the old tagline.
A hard-hitting barb that still maintained a little subtlety.

As a consumer, I very much disliked the old tagline. And, at the end of the day, it's the consumer you're trying to appeal to - not the advertiser. I found it to be very much lacking in subtlety.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
exclusivity for millions

Apple wants to claim exclusivity to everyone with an iPhone, but it's not really that exclusive when *everyone* has one!

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
Apple wants to claim exclusivity to everyone with an iPhone, but it's not really that exclusive when *everyone* has one!

That's the point I think the first tagline was trying to make. It was playing on the idea that you don't want to be the one who doesn't have one. If you don't get one then you won't be able to Facetime your friends or do all the things your friends can do with their iPhones.

The revision is much better, it still subtly says the same thing without negative connotations.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

But if everyone has one, imagine what :apple: cash reserves will look like :rolleyes:

The idea is to make you think it's exclusive, while selling as many as possible.

Exclusive is nice, for :apple: lots and lots of money is better :p

kdarling

macrumors P6
Anyway, you can fly completely paperless. No itineraries/tickets/boarding passes. This combined with TripIt makes traveling much more organized and much less stressful.

Less stressful until it doesn't work. Twice now I've heard/seen this.

First, my stepson was coming back from Hawaii to New York a month ago and the gate computers at HNL went down. So everyone with one of those onscreen boarding passes had to go back and get in a huge line to get a paper one instead. He almost missed his flight home. He will NEVER again go paperless.

The second time was just a few days ago when I was flying home from RDU and the boarding gate scanner wasn't working too well. The first young guy in line had an iPhone with an onscreen boarding code and we all had to wait while they figured out his status. Plenty of bad looks went his way.

Until tech is 100% solid, fair warning :)

davedude

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
So they changed it from "Yep, if you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone" to "Just one more thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone."

Truly earth shattering breaking news.

Who pee'd in your Cheerios this morning?

Sounds like you don't have very many friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.