Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There have been several rumors in recent weeks about Apple's work on a finger-worn smart ring, and while it's not clear if the project is in active development at this time, we thought we'd round up the rumors that are circulating.

samsung-galaxy-ring.jpg
Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Ring

This guide aggregates what we've heard so far on an Apple-branded smart ring.

Potential Features

A February rumor from Electronic Times suggested that Apple is "speeding up development" on a smart ring with health-related features.

Like the Apple Watch, an Apple Ring could track heart rate, activity, sleep, and respiratory rate, using that information to provide users with sleep insights and health recommendations.

Apple could also potentially use a smart ring as an input device for the iPhone, iPad, Vision Pro, or Mac.

Ring vs. Watch

Apple already has an Apple Watch that is able to track multiple health metrics, but a smart ring would be more comfortable for certain activities. A ring could be preferable for sleep, for example, or in situations where the wrists need to be covered, like when wearing supportive wrist wraps.

A ring would not likely need a constant connection to an iPhone or another Apple device because it has no display, so the battery would probably last for a longer period of time. On the downside, a smart ring would convey information via Bluetooth or a similar method, so while it would collect data, that data would not be synced to the iPhone in real-time as it is with the Apple Watch.

There is a possibility that a smart ring would be more affordable than the Apple Watch, with higher-end smart rings priced at around $300 from Apple's competitors.

Apple's Competition

Samsung is developing a Galaxy Ring that is expected to be available in the second half of the year. It can track heart rate, activity, and sleep, plus it is able to make wireless payments and control Samsung devices.

Companies like Oura and Ultrahuman have been making and selling smart rings for several years. The third-generation Oura ring is able to collect activity information and measure heart rate, respiratory rate, and sleep quality.

The Ultrahuman Ring Air measures heart rate, skin temperature, respiratory rate, recovery times, and sleep.

Ring Patents

Apple has patented smart ring technology. One patent, for example, explains how a smart ring (or several smart rings) could be used as a control method for a VR headset. Sensors in the ring would gather input from the user, and haptic output could provide feedback.

Another patent describes using a ring with a touch-sensitive display to control a TV or tablet, while a third outlines a smart ring with NFC.

Release Date

While Electronic Times said that Apple is seriously considering a smart ring, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman claimed in February that Apple is not actively developing a finger-worn device at this time.

Apple's industrial design team did present the idea of a smart ring focused on health and fitness to executives a few years back, but it may not be a project that Apple is planning to bring to market right now.

Article Link: Apple Ring Rumors: What We've Heard About Apple's Work on a Smart Ring

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Plus, most people look at a ring more as a piece jewelry, so guess what - Apple will price it accordingly ;)
My first thought was whether we’d see another Apple Watch initial gen with the 20k gold model. Not sure we will now that Ive isn’t there and Apples stepped back a bit from that with the watch lineup. At least not to the extent the Watch initially chased that market.

Would be interesting to see what materials Apple would use still and how they’d price it accordingly. If it was released today, whether they’d have say a steel and Titanium models at different price points, for example.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
My first thought was whether we’d see another Apple Watch initial gen with the 20k gold model. Not sure we will now that Ive isn’t there and Apples stepped back a bit from that with the watch lineup. At least not to the extent the Watch initially chased that market.

Would be interesting to see what materials Apple would use still and how they’d price it accordingly. If it was released today, whether they’d have say a steel and Titanium models at different price points, for example.
it's Apple, so premium material.
Oura ring is ~$300 without the subscription ($6/month) - so expect an Apple ring to be what? more than that is my guess ...

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
I see this as typical Tim Cook move. Anything he can do to add to the ecosystem. I think the problem with Apple, since Tim took over, is he is afraid to let any product cannibalize another. For example, the iPad Pro could be an amazing iPad and Mac in one if Apple just let us run MacOS on it. The same thing with Vision Pro, as it’s marketed as it will do everything but they don’t want it to actually cannibalize a Mac sale, iPhone sale or etc. That’s where AAPL lacks innovation now. With iPhones getting so big, it’s like the iPad doesn’t have room to take its place as a MacOS computer replacement and the iPhone all ready runs iOS perfectly.

I see a future where we use something like a ring and biometrics to allow us to access our data on any device and we need only one device and hopefully one subscription to make it all happen. I don’t think AAPL as we know it will be around in 50 years without new leadership that can champion one device that does everything rather than 15 devices that work together.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Is there a clamor for an Apple ring? Just because I'm not interested in one doesn't mean no one is. I'm just trying to determine who this is for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.