Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_lte-250x215.jpg
Over the past several months, rumors of Jony Ive's influence on iOS 7 as part of his new role overseeing user interface design in addition to hardware have surfaced, indicating that Ive is pushing to adopt a "flatter" design that will modernize the look of iOS.

In a lengthy report, Bloomberg now notes that this major effort to remake iOS puts Apple at risk of delaying the launch of iOS 7. While a public launch is said to currently remain on schedule for "as soon as September", Apple's internal deadlines have been pushed back as Apple's software teams race to complete their work and ready a preview for next month's Worldwide Developers Conference.
Ive, 46, has begun revamping iPhone and iPad applications, shunning realistic images, such as wood bookshelves for the Newsstand feature, and he's exploring more dramatic changes to the e-mail and calendar tools, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are private.

Ive is also methodically reviewing new designs, seeking to avoid a repeat of last year's release of map tools that were widely panned, and he's encouraging collaboration between the software and hardware divisions, which operated in silos under co-founder Steve Jobs, people said.
The report also corroborates previous claims from Daring Fireball's John Gruber regarding engineers being pulled from OS X projects to bolster the iOS 7 effort, as well as his claim that the software changes in iOS 7 are significant enough that testers are using devices with special films over the screens to make it more difficult for those around them to see their displays.

ios_advanced.jpg
Sources indicate to Bloomberg that Apple may ultimately have to push back to a later iOS version some of Ive's desired changes such as a complete remake of the iOS email app in order to have iOS 7 ready on time, and that Ive is also exploring some future concepts such as gesture controls that do not require touching the device's display.

Finally, the report briefly describes a March town hall meeting at Apple in which Jony Ive uncharacteristically took the lead to preside over a two-hour presentation about the changes that are underway. As previously noted, Ive is also sitting in on Apple's software design meetings, reportedly offering his input without forcing his ideas, and also giving software teams greater access to his hardware plans in order to increase collaboration.

Article Link: Apple Risking iOS 7 Delays With Jony Ive's Design Overhaul

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
Hell ya - this is necessary. This delay is more important than a hardware delay...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Best news is a complete overhaul of email.

I wouldn't mind them delaying iOS7 to have that included at ALL.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Anyone else miss Steve Jobs? When he was around it was more or less certain things would be done mostly right.

Nowadays... we just don't know. They might completely screw things up.

I know one thing for sure; I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 until I've heard some reports from others about it!

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Based on his title at Apple, I am under the impression that Jony is now running the show at Apple. From what we've heard, it's clear that he works with the surface layer of what all users see, which is what matters most when you buy any device.

Now he just needs to be the one to run the keynotes.

ccmovies

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Boston
I'm loving all this iOS 7 news. I would much rather they take their time and make it a finished product rather than a half-decent, rushed one.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
My humble opinion

I've been with them on the last few updates, keeping the UI the same, but I think the time has come for a few changes. Easier access to controls (e.g. brightness) and easier access to information from the lock screen (say, 3 custom gestures that could be made over the image on the lock screen for your preferred tasks) would make my use of my iPhone just so much quicker!

I'm not a jailbreaker, and I'm against it as a concept, but Apple should take a look at some mods available on jailbroken devices - 99% rubbish, but theres a few mods they could learn from.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

i hope they axe newsstand all together. email doesnt need a complete redo it just needs some new features and tweaks. The settings app needs a complete redo

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Then put it on a 5 inch screen. After having this HTC One for 2 weeks, I honestly will never go back to a 4 inch screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.