Apple rMBP configuring?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ploki, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Ploki macrumors 68000

2. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Those are the two models that are not configured to order (CTO) and are held in stock at all of their warehouses. They also hold some popular CTO models (like 16gb upgrades) in warehouses in the US.

From a sales standpoint, it's a great way to up-sell people who want the "better model" even if they may not have a specialized need for one.

3. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

Gotcha.
    But that's new, i remember it didn't used to be like this, they were actually separate models, i mean, you couldn't "upgrade the base one"

4. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Yeah, when the rMBP first came out (and when I ordered it) you definitely couldn't do that. But it was restrictive. Some people wanted a 2.6/256/16gb version but that wasn't possible. I think apple made a pro-consumer change in August when they made that a possibility.

5. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

true. They allow you to wait for the 3rd party drive update if you don't wish to pay 500$ for theirs. Which is odd in a way... Because id you do that, you can get the OWC upgrade for almost the same money + keep the 256GB drive as an external USB3.0 unit. Which is infact very small.

Also OWC appears to be even faster!
    http://www.zdnet.com/owc-aura-pro-ssd-for-retina-macbook-pro-verdict-faster-and-cheaper-7000007082/

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You also run the risk of voiding your Apple warranty.