Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is today rolling out Tap to Pay on iPhone in the Netherlands, according to iCulture.nl, allowing independent sellers, small merchants, and large retailers in the country to use ‌iPhones‌ as a payment terminal.

Apple-Tap-to-Pay-iPhone.jpeg

Introduced in February 2022, the feature allows compatible iPhones to accept payments via Apple Pay, contactless credit and debit cards, and other digital wallets, using only an ‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌ - no additional hardware or credit card machine is required‌.

Tap to Pay on ‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌ uses NFC technology to securely authenticate the contactless payments, plus the feature also supports PIN entry, which includes accessibility options.

Adyen and SumUp are the first payment platforms to offer Tap to Pay on iPhone to business customers in the Netherlands, with Rabobank, Klearly, Revolut, Stripe, Viva Wallet, Worldline, and myPOS coming soon. Tap to Pay on iPhone will also roll out to Apple Store locations in the Netherlands in the coming weeks. Apple has not yet officially announced the rollout in the country, but a press release is expected soon.

Tap to Pay on ‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌ requires ‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌ XS or newer models, and works for customers as any normal ‌‌‌‌Apple Pay‌‌‌‌ transaction would. Sellers just need to open up the app, register the sale, and present their ‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌ to the buyer, who can then use an appropriate contactless payment method.

Tap to Pay on ‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌ is available to over 700,000 additional businesses across the United States, and Apple Stores in the U.S. have also rolled out the feature. The Netherlands is the fifth region to support Tap to Pay, following similar rollouts in the U.K., Australia, and Taiwan earlier in the year.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out Tap to Pay on iPhone in the Netherlands

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Hmm I wonder how much it costs the seller. Last time I was in NL there were a lot of small places where I couldn't pay by credit card because their banks charged unsustainably too much.

Strawberrypro

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2022
Hmm I wonder how much it costs the seller. Last time I was in NL there were a lot of small places where I couldn't pay by credit card because their banks charged unsustainably too much.
But that's just the case with credit cards, not with debit cards. In the Netherlands, many places accept only digital payments (any payment without cash). In fact, many of these places only accept payments without cards, using just your phone or nfc chip inside the bankcard.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

They don't accept credit card payment because they force you to use their crappy iDeal system.

Hotels seems to be fine from my experience with credit cards.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
No idea why, but as a tourist who prefers to use his credit cards on holidays it was reasonably annoying.

JustMarco

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
Problem in Netherlands is not that fees for credit cards are unsustainably high, it's that debit card fees for Maestro and VPAY are just super low compared to anywhere else in the world. Which make dutch merchants not wanting to accept creditcards.

davidh2k

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
But that's just the case with credit cards, not with debit cards. In the Netherlands, many places accept only digital payments (any payment without cash). In fact, many of these places only accept payments without cards, using just your phone or nfc chip inside the bankcard.

Technically a Debit Card payment is a Credit Card transaction, thus the same rates will apply. That got incredible evident in Germany where big chains did not yet accept debit cards due to the fact that they didn‘t have a contract for credit card billing (and not accepting them)

Steve in Heaven

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2023
We don't use much credit cards in NL. Living on credit is a bad American habit such as junk food, big-ass SUVs and pop music. Instead we used direct payment. It works perfectly and it's cheaper for all. Only exception might be for the tourists. Using a bank card for each transaction can be costly. The banks are the greedy ones to blame for that.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
We don't use much credit cards in NL. Living on credit is a bad American habit such as junk food, big-ass SUVs and pop music. Instead we used direct payment. It works perfectly and it's cheaper for all. Only exception might be for the tourists. Using a bank card for each transaction can be costly. The banks are the greedy ones to blame for that.

Just because they're called "credit cards" doesn't mean you have to use the credit.

Their main appeal to me is i can deny suspicious transactions before paying them off. Especially when I play the tourist.

Reactions: CARIB_APPLE

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
I've lived in NL for over 10 years and I'd say it's not the banks charge, it's sellers in NL being nickel and dime cheap and still assuming they have a captive market in a small country that doesn't have choice... in NL you pay much higher prices for mediocre quality (especially with Apple gear... those great discounts you see here on MR from Amazon or B&H, etc... yeah, you'll never see that here)... it's why I wait to go to the US to make as many purchases as I can and pay 20-50% less... not to mention no sales tax and getting my AMEX points... but then again I don't believe in bending over for a seller because they're kind enough to offer me the privilege of buying from them.

Knavel

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2021
Yeah but this sanctimonious Dutch talking poing is really irrelevant.

Foreign visitors with debit cards also couldn't use those to pay here at penny-pinching shops like Albert Heijn under the system which is only finally being replaced this year.

It was not about credit vs debit, but about the Netherlands' home-grown Maestro-linked payment system vs the rest of the world.

Now that Dutch banks are being forced by regulators to issue cards that are compatible with the rest of the world, things will hopefully start to change.

Incidentally for many tourists a credit card is by far the cheapest way to pay for things, cheaper than e.g. paying directly from your ING account with a pinpas. That's because credit cards issued in some countries offer up to 2% rebates to the customer and charge 0% in foreign exchange fees. That 2% comes out of the transaction fee that the merchant pays, of course, so effectively it's a little discount provided by the shop to the tourist. And that is of course the root of why some of those shops didn't want to accept foreign cards. Dutch customers who haven't banked overseas may not realise how bad we have it.

Reactions: CARIB_APPLE

CARIB_APPLE

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2020
That is the big misconception with The Netherlands. Just because I have a credit card then I am mismanaging and in debt. Most people, myself included, pay their credit card bills in fill every month. The stores in The Netherlands could charge a fee for using credit cards like some places in the US do. I still can’t believe that AH doesn’t accept credit cards.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
That is the big misconception with The Netherlands. Just because I have a credit card then I am mismanaging and in debt. Most people, myself included, pay their credit card bills in fill every month. The stores in The Netherlands could charge a fee for using credit cards like some places in the US do. I still can’t believe that AH doesn’t accept credit cards.

One of the major reasons those fees are becoming more and more common in the US is that stores pay some of the highest fees in the world to accept cards in the first place. This might be one of those "be careful what you wish for" deals, especially if a major retailer like Walmart starts surcharging one day and gets away with it (i.e. loses few if any customers).

BTW from a societal standpoint, I can see how reducing reliance on credit might be a good thing. Assuming, of course, you make it possible to be such (by reducing income inequality, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.