Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Rumor Casualty...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The intense interest in Apple-related news and rumors is what fuels the Apple rumor scene... and frequently uncovers publically available information (Motorola PDFs, Toshiba 1.8" Drive Specs, 20.1" Apple LCD)

However, this weblog (2:02pm Sat, Feb 8th) details an unfortunate casualty of this phenomenon, due to some screenshots that were publically accessible on the web:

I lost my job at Apple yesterday. The job I held to the highest regard, the job where I had the most respect. It's gone. Here is the full story.

michaelyoung

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
Im not totally clear on what the shots were of.

Did anyone get that?

What was it that was seen?

Comment

rubikcube

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2002
That really sucks. However, being a computer science person, he really should have known better.

Comment

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
That was very irresponsible of pbzone

The poor kid was definitely negligent in leaving his files accessible to the web, but pbzone should have first and foremost contacted the guy directly before posting his info on their site. I think pbzone was very, very irresponsible. You just don't post a news article online telling the world who the leak is.

I hope that MacRumors will exercise more care in the future with their sources in light of this incident. Rumors are nice and fun for the rest of us, but for some, they mean real business and could lead to unintended consequences.

Comment

The Wingnut

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2003
Canada
This is really sad. It's unfortunate that this person lost his job as a result of the actions of some members of the Mac rumor community. One would hope that this never happens again in the future. IMHO the folks at PBZone should be ashamed of themselves.

My profound sympathy goes out to the person who suffered from this event.

Comment

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Anyone own a Mac store in NC?

I sent the kid an e-mail with my condolences. Is there anyone who owns a Mac store in North Carolina or know of anyone who owns one? The guy sounds like he really loves Mac, and it would be a great shame to lose such a salesman.

Comment

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
i saw the screenshots

I saw the screenshorts, its of apple's internal applications. They have a nice VNC client. So sad to hear the news that he was terminated. I wish him good luck.

Comment

Niknar

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
Scotland
I totally feel for this guy.

I hope someone at Apple relises this was on big mistake. He dose sound like he has good potential.

Also wtf were the people that posted his name and position in Apple thinking!?! anyone with one brain cell could have figured out he would get fired for this.

This shows that rumors can go to far.

I hope we all learn from this.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by rubikcube
That really sucks. However, being a computer science person, he really should have known better.

He didn't realise the the files were shared, they were not sitting in his shared folder. He had a symlink to a different folder, which in turn had another symlink to the screenshots. It can be hard to notice this sort of thing, so don't be too harsh on him.

Comment

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
What were the PBzone people thinking when they posted his personal information? That is just going way too far IMO. Of course, he probably shouldn't have been keeping screen shots of anything on his machine, but accidents do happen and he is at fault for that. But I feel the PBzone people are out of line.

Doing some research and tapping some sources, we've learned a few things. First, it appears the employee that posted the files is one Adam Attarian, who is an employee at the Southpoint Apple Store in North Carolina. Apple's employee directory lists him as a "mailroom" worker, but we assume that's a listing that's used for Apple Store employees that may work in the stockroom or the like.

Mr. Attarian is also currently a computer science freshman at NC State.

This almost seems like stalking!? WTF?

Comment

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Journalists. Worse than politicians.

They'll do anything, and I mean anything to one up the other sites.

More incidences like this and you'll be able to here all the reliable sources drying up.

Comment

Niknar

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
Scotland
I emailed PBzone over this saying they should atleast give the guy a public apology and told them they were well out of line on posting the guys private information.

f***ing idiots.

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The community is hungry for information, if you posts links to your website -- people are going to look around.

If you leave any hole open with info that can violate your NDA, that's a huge brain fart. The info is going to be spread as quickly as it is found. And he admits he handed people the link to his website.

While you can feel sorry for him for a momentary lapse of brain function, he'll be lucky if Apple just decides to leave it at termination of employment.

Apple is taking a bit stronger stance against people violating the NDA.

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You're all feeling sorry for his stupidity? I don't think anyone is to blame but him. If you go to his site most stuff is open and available, directory listing, etc. It was just a matter of time before someone found something. That and the fact that he actually went and posted something to slashdot? Well, he's young and not even out of college yet, so he's got plenty of time to reverse any possible issues that might come about, except ever working at Apple again.

They did seem to take a bit of hard line though, which is the only unfortunate thing. And getting a call by 'some guy at Apple' telling you you're terminated is pretty lame. It should have come from his boss.

Silliness, all of it. Anyone know if anything shown was even that important?

D

Comment

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
as much as i feel sorry for him, he took the screenshots, which i have to wonder why, if only for personal reasons, why do you need them, and second, taking those screenshots home is illegal, he did it to himself. maybe he didn't want to get fired, but if somebody leaked my stuff, i'd fire their ass. he's more upset he got caught, not upset about what he did. his mistake was taking the screenshots, not putting them on the web, that was an added mistake that made his mistake public. yes, that website went way too far with info, but any leak of apple stuff, or any companies stuff can have a dramatic effect on stock, compitition, and alot more.
a job at an apple store is fun and neat, but not a career, so i think he should feel lucky he's not being sued by apple and possible jail time, but rather just being let go, believe it or not, but he is lucky to just be let of the hook. he'll be fine in the end all of things. still, a sad day for rumors.

Comment

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet
You're all feeling sorry for his stupidity?

No, he did a major screw up. He shouldn't have had any screen shots on his machine at all (as I said in my previous post).

However, PBzone SHOULD NOT have posted his personal information (that shouldn't even be accessible to the public, like his Job title and location. That's not public information unless he gives it out to the news site).

He majorly screwed up, but PBzone should have a little bit more sense than posting personal information to the public. That sets them up for possible lawsuits, too. Not exactly sure which type, but a crafty lawyer could figure something out.

Comment

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
I think most people will agree that the kid was negligent--he should not have left the photos on his website and he probably should not have taken them in the first place. However, I still think that pbzone was plain irresponsible--they should have exercised some care and thought before blabbing to the world the kid's personal info.

Comment

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by mozez
taking those screenshots home is illegal

Most NDAs allow employees to do whatever they want with the information, except communicating it or sharing it to others. So he could probably take it home legally, however posting it to a public web directory would be a major no-no. ;)

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I feel for him to but on the otherhand he should not have been posting anything period .Having worked in the medical field its like patient confidentiality. He should not have been posting this stuff. I know he didnt realize but i also see he was very young and therefore naive to some extent. I guess apple has their employees sign some type of form not to divulge this and that and it turns out he did just that.I also bet his boss caught hell for this also.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.