Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to start implementing generative AI technology on the iPhone and iPad in late 2024 at the earliest, according to Jeff Pu, an analyst who covers Apple's supply chain for Hong Kong-based investment firm Haitong International Securities.

iOS-18-Mock-Siri-Feature-Baubles.jpg

In a research note on Wednesday, Pu said his supply chain checks suggest that Apple is likely to build a few hundred AI servers in 2023, and significantly more next year. He believes Apple will offer a combination of cloud-based AI and so-called "edge AI," which involves more on-device data processing. He added that patience will be required with Apple's rollout of generative AI, as the company considers how to use and process personal data in a way that aligns with its commitment to customer privacy.

If met, the late 2024 timeframe would mean that Apple could begin rolling out generative AI features starting with iOS 18 and iPadOS 18, but it remains to be seen how it uses the technology. The Information last month reported that Apple plans to incorporate large language models into Siri to let users automate complex tasks, a feature that would involve deeper integration with the Shortcuts app. The report said this feature is expected to be released in an iPhone software update next year, so it could be part of iOS 18.

In August, supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple's generative AI efforts were "significantly behind its competitors," so it's unclear if the late 2024 timeframe is realistic. It is possible the technology will not be ready until 2025 and onwards.

Generative AI surged in popularity last year when OpenAI released ChatGPT, a chatbot that can respond to questions and other prompts. Google and Microsoft released similar chatbots earlier this year, as more companies race into the space. The chatbots are trained on large language models, allowing them to respond like a human.

In July, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said Apple was internally testing a "ChatGPT-like" chatbot nicknamed "Apple GPT," but he said the company had yet to "devise a clear strategy" for releasing generative AI tools to the public.

Apple has publicly confirmed its interest in generative AI, and it has mentioned the technology in job listings posted on its website in recent months.

"We've been working on generative AI for years and have done a lot of research," said Apple CEO Tim Cook, in an interview with Forbes last month. "And we're going to approach it really thoughtfully and think about it deeply, because we're fully aware of the not-good uses that it can have, and the issues around bias and hallucination and so forth."

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Follow ChatGPT With Generative AI Features on iPhone as Soon as iOS 18

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Will it be called SiriGPT? Though since Apple loves using + and Pro/Ultra, maybe Siri+, Siri Pro, or Siri Ultra?
Large language models would create a whole lot of different ways to say "I don't know what you mean by _______. Here's what I found on the web for _________." Synonyms for words in those lines are abundant and there are many ways to restate the same confusion. ;)

mcmehrtens

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2023
Iowa, United States
I am extremely content with Apple taking their time incorporating generative AI and LLMs into the ecosystem.

The competition seems to be throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. I’d much rather have a polished, highly-functional, useful generative AI implementation than a half-baked one.

I’m particularly concerned about the data and privacy implications of generative AI and LLMs. As the article alludes to, I believe this is the primary reason Apple is taking much longer than Google, Microsoft, OpenAI, etc. to roll out the headlining AI features.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
They'll likely need custom ASICs for server farms as well, for both training and inference. I wonder how far into that design cycle they're already in?

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Siri for the regular people, and Siri+ for anyone with a $0.99-or-more iCloud subscription, and then SiriGPT+ Pro Ultra for anyone who's willing to shell out 10+ bucks a month for something that can compete with GPT4? 🤔 I can already imagine Tim rubbing his hands and cackling at the thought of how much money Apple will rake in. :p

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Despite Apple having a reputation of being late to the party... they also have a reputation for redefining spaces in tech...

So I think when they do release this... you can be pretty certain they will make a good effort and get most of it right... plus their Neural Engine hardware is amongst the best.

Plus, I trust them on privacy way more than Google.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Apple spent too much on developing the useless Vision Pro when the hype of the VR/AR is already gone. Siri is only good at setting a timer. A businessman can't lead a technology company. Period. He doesn't even know AI is the most important thing to focus on...

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
I guarantee that if Apple wants to just make its own ChatGPT alternative and is starting right now, it will be hopelessly behind the times next year when iOS 18 rolls around. AI advancements have been happening at such an extreme pace that it's hard to believe how rudimentary things were only a year ago and how many well-known tools didn't exist then. Apple needs some vision for where things are headed and aim there, rather than just looking at where things are now. I'm not sure Apple is that agile anymore.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Given some of those cray stories people trained AI with personality, I wonder what kind of personality people will give to their own generative AI. Maybe personal virtual waifu/husbando even, with custom portrait?

One can dream.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple spent too much on developing the useless Vision Pro when the hype of the VR/AR is already gone. Siri is only good at setting a timer. A businessman can't lead a technology company. Period. He doesn't even know AI is the most important thing to focus on...
Shhh, let Apple just focus a bit more on their pipe dream before Tim Cook retires. Then the new CEO could emphasis more importance on AI.

paulovsouza

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2012
I’m always ok with Apple taking their time, because they always come up with a better way of using it, or way better UI. BUT adding a button, and pinch gestures (which they already had) aren’t big feature that makes people feel like Apple is innovative. If the AI was completely integrate into the OS, and made thing completely autonomous that be impressive.

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
How are they going to come up with anything remotely resembling AI if they cannot get the basics right? :D I am rooting for Apple but Siri is a complete mess.

Siri.jpg

For Apple building a generative AI feels a bit like Apple trying to compete with Google Maps with their very own Apple Maps. Despite their efforts Google Maps is and probably always will be light years ahead.

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
I am extremely content with Apple taking their time incorporating generative AI and LLMs into the ecosystem.

The competition seems to be throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. I’d much rather have a polished, highly-functional, useful generative AI implementation than a half-baked one.

I’m particularly concerned about the data and privacy implications of generative AI and LLMs. As the article alludes to, I believe this is the primary reason Apple is taking much longer than Google, Microsoft, OpenAI, etc. to roll out the headlining AI features.
Polished like Siri is polished?!!

What are you even talking about...

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Have you guys tried the new chatGPT voice assistant mode with the iphone 15s action button? This is truly mindblowing. It this could access the web and smart home devices and was a bit faster to respond, this is it. This is the startrek computer we've been waiting for!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.