Apple’s Back to School Promo

fishingfromakay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Any thoughts on what and when the next " Apple’s Back to School Promo " will be ? I am thinking of getting a new MBP and am thinking of waiting for that deal.
Thnx for any help/ideas

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Back to School 2012

any ideas when or what this will be this year?

my hopes are for another gift card (for mac apps)

Also if you buy 2 macs do you get 2 gifts?

Comment

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm thinking that there's a possibility of an ipod touch again for this year, since there might be new generation coming out.
Call me cynical, perhaps, but I'm sure the iPod giveaway won't ever happen again.

Apple giving away an App Store gift card means that they lose essentially nothing, monetarily speaking. Giving away an iPod means a potentially lost iPod touch sale and the hardware cost of the iPod itself. The gift card means Apple eats 70% (perhaps less) of whatever a user spends £59/$99 on.

Comment

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
Would this promo apply to iPads in some way? I don't remember what they did last year because I wasn't interested, but now that new iPad is very tempting. :D

Comment

dropkinn

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2012
wouldnt be surprised to see an apple tv. They will be pushing them like crazy with the whole mountain lion streaming thing. Its fun, but not rediculously overpriced for them to throw in, plus with the push towards airplay. Thats my best guess.

Comment

ag101

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
In Japan it was the equivalent of a $129 gift card.

We'll almost certainly get the same..

Comment

Dkrogh

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
Any chance bestbuy will offer their gift card option like they did during this promotion?

Comment

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Call me cynical, perhaps, but I'm sure the iPod giveaway won't ever happen again.

Apple giving away an App Store gift card means that they lose essentially nothing, monetarily speaking. Giving away an iPod means a potentially lost iPod touch sale and the hardware cost of the iPod itself. The gift card means Apple eats 70% (perhaps less) of whatever a user spends £59/$99 on.
Another way to look at it is that the $100 gift card = $70 to iOS, Mac developers and media companies (books, video, and music.)

It's a great thing for the people selling through Apple's ecosystem.

Comment

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Another way to look at it is that the $100 gift card = $70 to iOS, Mac developers and media companies (books, video, and music.)

It's a great thing for the people selling through Apple's ecosystem.
And $30 right back in Apple's pockets. I like the cynical view better. It'll be the gift card again or something new.

Comment

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
There weren't any new iPods released last year so there was no old stock to get rid of, if there are new iPods this year maybe the free iPod thing will return.

Comment

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I really hope Apple will be generous in giving hardware over gift cards this year. Otherwise, I'm almost certain the promotion will begin sometime this following week or next week, since last year was June 14th or 16th, I believe.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Seeing as I buy enough from iTS, the $100 is fine. I don't need a touch or $$ off an iPad, so this is great for me.

Comment

Peter.

macrumors member
May 5, 2012
Quick question regarding the back to school promotion: if I buy 2 MBP's, will I be able to receive the student discount plus the $100 gift card using just one student ID?

Comment