Apple Sac (Colcasac) vs. Incase Sleeve

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Which would offer the premium protection from a drop? If I have it in my slightly padded bookbag, and one of the cases on it in addition, and drop my bookbag down sorta hard, would it dent it with either one of them in it?

I don't want an ugly speck hardcase for it or something, that justs adds weight, thickness and ugly cheapness. But would the Applesac or Colcasac (Apple Sac) protect it from a drop?

Anyone have either one? Recommendations? Other sleeves/cases?

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

TBH, I don't think any of them would offer protection from a drop. You need a hard shell for that.

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm talking sliding off a couch with the Colcasac on, or having it in a slightly padded bookbag in addition to the Applesac and dropping the bookbag down.

4. Horst Guest

Hard shell with padding, or dense, closed cell padding - rule of thumb, the height of a MacBook needs to be tripled for protection by the case/ sleeve.

Anything else is for scratch protection only, Mac portables are really fragile.

5. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Just bought a coulca myself. That combined with my super padded North Face backpak or my padded briefcase will be enough protection for me.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Stretchy neoprene cases are for scratch protection. Of course, even a pillowcase would be adequate for that purpose, so I don't buy neoprene or any of the fancy looking sleeves. ;)

Buy one of those sleeves made from a padded foam that bounces back when you put pressure on it. I got one from STM online (the grey one. The black one is just another neoprene case), and it's wonderful. It could survive a drop, or perhaps even a toss, without suffering visible physical damage. The only damage it may experience would be to the internal electronics of your laptop due to the sudden stop when it hits the ground (i.e. the quick change in inertia), which a case can't protect your laptop from anyway.

Anyway, STM doesn't sell it anymore. :eek: I'm pretty sure it's nearly identical to the Shinza Zeroshock, so check it out. ;)

The Apple Sac Colcasac wouldn't protect it from anything. It's just fancy, that's all. Same with neoprene. The only benefit of neoprene over the Colcasac is that the neoprene is well fitted.