Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I think the 3x more relates to the flagship store, not that 200 to 2000 at Shenzhen? So that means flagship store saw around 670 claims during that same time.
You are correct, the “three times more” being in quotes messed me up, I read it incorrectly.

eow

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
We spent three weeks in China. The guides said crimes involving fraud, such as selling a Ming Dynasty relic to tourists that was made yesterday, considered a skill. Attacking someone, or crimes against the State, punishable. Outsmarting Apple, a skill, they should be more vigilant in their business practices. Not all places in the world follow our ethical guidelines.
And I grew up in China, spent hundreds of three weeks. Does pulling off a fraud take skills? Yes. Is fraud illegal and punishable? Absolutely. Are fraudsters despised by decent people? Not a doubt. So I’m not sure whether your guides were just trying to impress you or something — some guides love to trick foreigners or even non-locals into believing stupid stuff. There are certainly finer (and sometimes larger) disagreements on ethical standards, but I’m pretty sure the entire civilized world find fraud, thievery, etc. distasteful.

Meanwhile, I’ve lived in the U.S. for many years and the amount of scams I encounter is pretty comparable.

Reactions: dabotsonline

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I actually felt much more comfortable in China than in major European cities, where people were always warning about pickpockets and thieving gypsies ( I honestly didn’t know that word was still used in normal conversation).

Witnessed several pickpockets myself in China in the middle of broad daylight. That's the difference in cultures, in the West people complain loudly about the smallest problem, in the East, they cover huge problems up to save face.

evilrobot

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
Thats definitely happening here in the US. I worked at the Genius bar for several years and we would call them "Mod Squad." They come in groups, pretend not to know each other but all have the same story about the "broken" phones.

same here. generally, we'd see an influx of mandarin characters in the queue. a forced/faked, swollen battery, usually done with compressed air was the move to get a no-questions swap until is was discovered.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Classic Problem-Reaction-Solution. Something politicians do and now their tech-wing is at it. Create the problem with shock false news that is unprovable due to being other side of world in communist block. People will then react and their ideal solution can then be rolled out, T2 security chip putting an end to user and third-party repairs. Job done. Take home: You can NOT trust Apple any more in any form whatsoever.

ReneR

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Apple could also just finally official sell spare parts, … and at a reasonable price please, ..!
[doublepost=1539114702][/doublepost]
More reason to want Right to Repair laws in our own country. One of the tenants of R2R is that manufacturers have to offer OEM parts to outside services. A readily available supply of OEM parts would mostly curb black markets like this one.

+1 from my side, unfortunately I have the feeling that if Apple is forced they will ask for ridiculously high prices :-/

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I was wondering about that as well. Given their location, maybe they can get chips from Foxconn that fail QC, but can still boot.

It’s honestly to me the most interesting thing about this article, I remember the really early days when the 2G/3G could be jailbroken and could dual boot early version of Android, but I remember because of how closed Apple is it was impossible to do the opposite, run it on a android.

And that was when Apple was using off the shelf arm processors, not developing them in house, I’m assuming it would be far more complicated now.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
And I grew up in China, spent hundreds of three weeks. Does pulling off a fraud take skills? Yes. Is fraud illegal and punishable? Absolutely. Are fraudsters despised by decent people? Not a doubt. So I’m not sure whether your guides were just trying to impress you or something — some guides love to trick foreigners or even non-locals into believing stupid stuff. There are certainly finer (and sometimes larger) disagreements on ethical standards, but I’m pretty sure the entire civilized world find fraud, thievery, etc. distasteful.

Meanwhile, I’ve lived in the U.S. for many years and the amount of scams I encounter is pretty comparable.

I lived in China for four years and I think it's laughable to compare the baseline ethical standards of the US and China. As a random example, when I was in China, I had to learn the difference between "blackmail" and "extortion" because these were things that were happening to people around me! (Namely, extortion over minor business matters.)

Of course, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but I'm not sure there is reliable data on this matter.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Apple could also just finally official sell spare parts, … and at a reasonable price please

That would require the corporate suits at Apple and it's shareholders to have respect for their own consumers. This won't happen. They're more likely to give you the knife over an olive branch... which does happen; they tried to sue that Norwegian repair shop.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
3 out of 5 customers in HK and China at its peak were frauding apple gutting parts or providing fake parts?

That’s insane to me! Outright disgusting really

We are also seeing the downfall/downside of China being such a key part of the supply chain too with the Supermicro scandal that has now supposedly affected a major US network which isnt disclosed.

So now im beginning to think there may be smoke to the Apple story, but cant say with any degree of certainty, bc they’re just another customer of Supermicro, or were at one point.. and Supermicro had some security breaches as an understatement. Apple also use Google servers in China for iCloud. REASSURING!

...BUILD THE STUFF IN USA! Ensure the supply chain isnt tampered with,
And dont Host on Google’s stuff. Now you got Google AND China to worry about... unless they dont care in the first place and only the business model of selling hardware is part of their PR pitch, they arent actually interested in fully seeing it through.

In any case, Bad news week for Apple/tech. Glad Apple is addressing the scammers tho that disgusts me that its billions in losses.

Tom_Aatje

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
Meanwhile they refuse to replace my battery because I replaced my broken screen with a third party screen.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Meanwhile they refuse to replace my battery because I replace my broken screen with a third party screen.

What does them being scammed and unknowingly taking gutted or counterfeit parts have anything to do with knowingly denying service on 3rd party parts?

Not related...

If they replace the battery and something happens to your phone as a result of 3rd party parts, they dont want to be responsible.

I understand the dilemma you’re in , but if you’re crafty enough to get a knockoff screen, you can replace the battery yourself or find a store that will replace it for you and doesnt care about the 3rd party mods.

Reactions: Cartoonkid

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Someone is always working an angle...
Always :)

How many people miss use the no quibble return policies be it to swap parts or have no intention of purchase

This cost consumers billions per year and no doubt helped/forced OEM's to glue or permanently to fix parts to MB's etc

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
We were told that we would not be reimbursed for ANY disk calibration on Disk ][ units that were not repairs from customers. No more presale recalibrations.
We pre-calibrated all our Disk ][ units anyway and considered it a free customer service. It prevented a lot of customer problems and avoided repairs in the long run.
This is what is called customer service and I would have done my best to make sure I bought from you.

That being said, I can see an easy work around, let the customer know that the drive was not calibrated and have them ask you to calibrate it, then submit the bill accordingly.

Of course the drives should have been properly calibrated in the first place.

calvito89

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
How the hell did they manage to get a third party processor to boot the phone and actually make it usable to show?

The phone doesn't have to be able to power on to verify that its legit.
If a customer came in with a No Power iPhone, there are tools employees can use to try and verify that the logic board is legit and matches the phone model.

If the logic board cant be verified then the phone would have to be sent to a repair center for further inspection.

Last edited:

eow

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
I lived in China for four years and I think it's laughable to compare the baseline ethical standards of the US and China. As a random example, when I was in China, I had to learn the difference between "blackmail" and "extortion" because these were things that were happening to people around me! (Namely, extortion over minor business matters.)

Of course, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but I'm not sure there is reliable data on this matter.
Well, blackmail and extortion are simply not words that appear in everyday lives of normal people. It’s safe to assume I have more Chinese friends and had more Chinese people “around me” than you, and I’ve never ever heard such a thing. So, either you lived in some sketchy part, had some questionable contacts, or contacts with questionable contacts, or your contacts are somewhat unfortunate. Or you’re flat out making it up, or live in an alternative universe, I wouldn’t be surprised: I’ve seen people claiming that every international student from China is state-sponsored (whereas I’ve yet to find one out of hundreds I’ve met), and **** like that. It’s the Internet after all, please don’t take it personally. (On the other hand, I could be making **** up, too.)

Another random example: in my hometown with ~10mil population, violent crimes are few and far between, and I don’t need to worry about being shot to death on the street by some random dude or cop. In the States, where homicide rates is ten times higher and any random dude can carry a gun, I sort of do. In the town I’ve been living in for the past two years, where criminal rate is much lower than national average, I’ve already been alerted to two hostage scenarios and a few bombing threats.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the worst that happens to people I know in China are bogus salespeople selling useless crap (health products, vacation packages, etc). There are plenty of bogus salespeople mostly targeting senior citizens.

Last edited:

Tom_Aatje

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
What does them being scammed and unknowingly taking gutted or counterfeit parts have anything to do with knowingly denying service on 3rd party parts?

Not related...

If they replace the battery and something happens to your phone as a result of 3rd party parts, they dont want to be responsible.

I understand the dilemma you’re in , but if you’re crafty enough to get a knockoff screen, you can replace the battery yourself or find a store that will replace it for you and doesnt care about the 3rd party mods.

I just wanted to participate in the 29$ replacement offer. Why go third party when I could have a genuine?
And it’s related in that they seem to easily spot a screen, but not any of the other parts that these chinamen switch out. Fyi, the iPhones have marks that are broken/changed when opened. They could have easily refused these scammerphones on that alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.