Apple say "I spilt liquid on my macbook".

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kam760, Oct 16, 2008.

1. kam760 macrumors newbie

Hi to all MacRumours Forum members.

I'll start from the beginning when i first purchased my Blackbook (2.4 Ghz model), which turned out to be the BEST computer/laptop i have ever owned. Kudos to Apple on that part.(April 1st 2008)

However 4 months in, the hard drive wasnt being recognised, and the laptop wouldnt boot. So i took it into the nearest Apple store, and asked for a replacement as it was almost brand new. Fair enough they said no, and offered a repair (i had AppleCare on top of the 1st year warranty). I was happy enough with it being fixed and returned.
    Great, my laptop was working fine. Until about 2 months later, it started to sometimes switch itself off when on battery power. Gradually this problem progressed, til a week or two later it would not turn on without the power cord plugged in. I took it in on 30th Sep 2008, after not having time to go to the Apple store in the first weeks of school. They tried new batteries, no luck, and so they sent it off for repairs.

When i finally am told i can pick it up, they tell me there is rust/corrosion which MEANS there has been liquid spilt and liquid damage :eek: . However i have never actually spilt any sort of liquid on my macbook (even when cleaning i use a dry polishing cloth).

Well now i'm uncertain really what to do, i didnt spill anything on it, and im the only personal who has ever used it. The only time i have even removed it from my room was to take it to the Apple store.
    My dad is working on the case, as he has worked as a manager for around 25 years, but im just trying to find any information that would help at all.
    Any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I'm sorry to hear about your MB woes. My 2.2 GHz BlackBook arrived on April 1 as well. I am having several problems ranging from the iSight camera to the headphone jack and display. Keep pressing them and they should make it right somehow.

Maybe this is all an April Fool's joke played on us by Apple.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Call customer relations and see what they can do.

4. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Look at the moisture indicators inside the case. If they are not activated, they cannot claim water damage. Easy.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Man that sucks. I would claim that Apple damaged the laptop when making repairs. Who knows how humidified your MacBook became while in transit, or how well they took care of it. Ask an Apple phone care rep if they personally know how well Apple takes care of the notebook... This is a very tough situation... You have to make as big of a fuss as possible. Unfortunately, there are those who really have spilled something on their keyboard, who then bring in their MacBook to an Apple store and tell them it stopped working, only to have it sent in for repairs where the same evidence of water damage is present. They then receive the same claim from Apple, and those who really have spilled tell Apple the same thing you did... Their shoes are not so comfortable either... What can ya' do?...

6. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

7. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I haven't seen this in a while. Wasn't it rumored/reported that he ended up getting a replacement from Apple anyway? Still, the story is pretty damn disheartening and probably a good example of what happens when a MacBook owner is conscientious enough to hound Apple on defects.