Apple Says All-New Modular Mac Pro With Apple-Branded High-End Pro Display Coming After 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2017.

1. bojan1987 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2017 ---
    Processor
    Intel Xeon E5-2620 V3 - Hexa-Core - 2.4GHz - TB3.2GHz - 15MB - HT - 85W Processor
    CPU Cooling
    Supermicro 4U Active LGA2011 CPU Heatsink Fan
    Mainboard
    Supermicro SuperWorkstation 7038A-I Workstation Barebone - 2xLGA2011 - 16xDDR4 - 3xPCIex16 - 2x5.25" 4x3.5" - 2xLAN
    Memory
    32GB (4 x 8GB) - Kingston ValueRAM - DDR4 - 2133MHz - ECC Registered
    Optical Drive
    Asus DVD-Writer - 24X - SATA
    SSD (OS Drive)
    256GB - Samsung 850 Pro SSD - 550/520MB/s (Read/Write)
    Hard Drive
    1TB Western Digital Black 64M 7200RPM
    Video Card
    PNY Quadro K2200 - 4GB DDR5 - 640 CUDA Cores - DVI/2xDP
    Audio
    RealTek ALC888 7.1 High Definition Audio with S/PDIF header
    Network
    Intel i210 Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet
    Virtual Machine Device Queues reduce I/O overhead
    Supports 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T, RJ45 output
    Casing
    Supermicro SuperWorkstation 7038A-I Workstation
    Power
    Supermicro SuperWorkstation 900W PSU
    Warranty
    1 Year A-Power Express System Warranty(72hrs) Repair Coverage
    Guarantee
    Every system undergoes a series of thorough stress testing for 24 hours to ensure the maximum system stability and consistent performance.

for 3999 Canadian dollars. compared to that mac pro .

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

And that is the debate and discussion that we'll be having until Apple announces the new Mac Pro! :)

3. Rob_2811, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

The truth is they tried to balance the sliding sales by increasing the average selling cost with more expensive 'Pro' iPad devices but it has cost them in price sensitive markets.

Honestly the reason for the introduction of that low cost iPad is because they are starting to lose the education market to Chromebooks. Education is extremely price sensitive and none of their recent iPad Pro releases are cost effective for the education market.

It was actually quite short sighted on Cooks part to let the education market slide as much as it has. In the three years between 2013 and 2016 their share of the US education market fell by more that 50%.

Also I'm not exactly Tim Cooks biggest fan in terms of him being the man responsible for the vision for Apples future but he seems like a decent person and I think digs at his views on LGBT rights are a bit of a cheap shot. Steve Jobs would almost certainly approve.

4. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

I can't see why they can't put out a new MB and update the chips on this thing as a stop gap measure. Some people I'm sure would buy a minorly refreshed Mac Pro...

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Why did Apple introduce the SE? I view the new low cost iPad in the same way. But maybe their dual purpose is to recapture the education market.

6. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Or buy something like a used 6 core 3.2 GHz MP, as I did. $410.00.

7. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

There is such a lack of leadership here.
    Pick a bloody direction and stick with it!
    As far as updating the nMP.
    Easy, ask AMD for binned, faster versions of current video chips. D350, D550, D750?
    Intel has other CPU chips in that same socket/chipset. Incl 15 core.
    Update form factor to include security lock slot and more convenient power button (REALLY!).
    This could be on the shelves for black Friday if Apple had leadership.
    They do not.
    Hackintosh for my next desktop, Apple is not keeping up at all, and I have stuff to do.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It appears that the issue with the current Mac Pro is that it expects all three "sides" of the GPU/GPU/CPU triangle to be equal in temperature. With most applications only using one of the two GPUs, you get a "thermal imbalance" inside the case as the in-use GPU gets appreciably hotter than the other GPU and the CPU and the thermal cooling can't deal with it. I think this is why there is a high GPU failure rate - the one GPU doing the work fails due to running too hot.

Putting a faster GPU in there will just exacerbate the issue - the "in use" GPU will run hotter and fail quicker.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

Why do I keep reading this?

I distinctively recall Logic, back when owned still and created by Emagic prior to Apple purchasing them ... had Gerhard talk specifically about multicore threads and 200+ instruments and tracks running on OSX Panther when the G5 debuted (multi-core and symmetric processing).

Have I missed something?

10. rayrainer macrumors newbie

What I don't understand about the new Mac Pros is their design. How does that design stay competitive with PC's? Those video cards are made large for a reason. If they could make them smaller, they would. I am not giving up on my Mac Pro 2010. I want a standard Mac Pro design where I can put the latest and greatest video cards in there. I would like to see the case lighter. I can't believe sometimes how heavy my 2010 Mac Pro is. It is like Apple wants you to leave?

11. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I think you are telegraphing from incomplete info.
    Where does it say that single GPUs are heating up?
    Pretty sure the OS takes care of load balancing stuff that is GPGPU based like OpenCL.
    That would be baked into grand central.
    The case of single vs dual gpu is that the industry was going dual gpu 4-5 years ago when the Mac pro was designed.
    Since then it has reversed course and gone back to single big cards.
    As far as failure rate, thats a D700 thing. I should know...sigh.

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

That is a HUGE market fall ... that alone translates into HUGE further growth and sales. That drop eroded the long relationship and hard work by Job's 2nd stay which led to Xserves, USA Universities with iTunes U courses and then after with iBooks for Schools [K12].

I also think it's because Apple tried to get a deal with the California state government for iPads in schools yet their staff or something similar screwed up the deal by NOT following due diligence with the terms. That also heavily costed Apple.

13. jclmavg macrumors regular

jclmavg

And you got this nugget of information from where?

14. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The thermal imbalance information is from John Gruber on "The Talk Show" in speaking with Craig Federighi during the limited press event. The trio at the "Accidental Tech Podcast" have also discussed it based on the transcript of the event.

The GPU overheating speculation is from ATP.

15. 2128506, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

2128506 macrumors regular

Here's a sneak peak of a modular Newest Mac Pro in "2x Configuration" ($6999):

[​IMG]

Apple Modular Interface Cable ($499) not shown, sold separately.
    Apple Modular Physical Adapter ($79) not visible, sold separately.
    Apple 2x Power Button Toggler Bar ($59) not shown, sold separately.

16. zzzachi macrumors member

thats pretty much how i expect apple to see a pro workstation.

17. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

As long as we're clear those 2 modules shown are $6,999 each, I agree with you.

18. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Not sure if having a maintenance-intensive Hackintosh is the right path when you got "stuff to do".

19. Tech198 macrumors G4

lol...

They are still keeping the round shape it seems as well ..

I'll never believe it until i see it :)

...preferably in stores.

20. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

I can't believe a new MacPro tower replacement is only a few years away... Only a few years everybody!!! Also I found a company crowdfunding a new teleportation device, they will have prototypes by 2019. Can you imagine the look on the Apple employees face when I teleport to the first spot in line! "One new Modular Mac Pro Please!" I can't wait.

21. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

But we have the iMac Pro. :rolleyes:

22. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

Impressive specs, but same problem as the iMac. Built-in display and who knows if it can run 24x7 full out (I doubt it).

23. PinkyMacGodess, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I would agree. It would seem that Apple has a problem with internal case 'climate change' denial. Stuff gets hot. Heat is not your friend. Fans ARE necessary to keep things from melting into goo.

If the fans in the iMac Pro aren't easily replaceable, they will be a major pain in the butt. I have an older iMac that has a muffin fan that is on its last legs, and digging it out and finding a replacement is going to be a major hassle. The iMac Pro, with it's supped up engine, had better have some serious cooling. That is NOT the machine (being that it's essentially a 'bone' being thrown to the Mac Pro faithful) to have thermal issues and literal meltdowns with.

I personally can't understand why the 'New New Mac Pro' wouldn't look like the old IIcx/IIci, or even the old IIfx.

24. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

The iMac Pro will be pretty horrible for Pro Audio as well as Pro video. Not being able to house the computer in a quite room or headless in a machine room doesn't make much sense in the pro world. Can you imagine trying to mix Audio with Fans blowing the whole time? The iMac Pro is such an odd duck, I just don't get why Apple wanted to give us something we didn't ask for. People love their iMac's they are a really cool computer, but for Pro work, it just seems like absolute overkill. I can Facebook and Instagram faster than any other computer...