Apple says no new extreme 5

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by donq, Jun 24, 2011.

1. donq macrumors newbie

I just call 1-800-my apple and they said theres no new apple extreme. I ask about the 5 generation extreme and they said theres no 5 generation extreme. I really don't know who to believe! I just bought an airport extreme 1 week ago and have not opened the box waiting for some real facts or evidence that theres a new one in order to change or get a refund.

Can someone explain whats happening with the rumors and comments of the supposedly airport extreme 5 generation that some people already bought and are posting reviews?

Thanks

2. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

It has a different model number--old one(gen 4) was mc340ll. Stores are just getting them in--you spoke to someone that was ignorant.

3. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Exactly right, the person you talked to was grossly uninformed. The new AE5 came out on Tuesday and the model # is MD031LL/A. They are available at the Apple store online

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I did an online chat with an Apple rep yesterday asking about if there was anything new about the updated Time Capsules other than the storage bump. I was told that they have not yet been given any info about changes to the device. I asked when he would have that info and he said he didnt know (he even went and checked with a higher up and still came back emptty handed).

For some reason Apple is being very cloak and dagger about this AEBS and TC refresh. Even Amazon doesn't have the release date listed on the page they have setup for the 5th generation AEBS.

5. sauer228 macrumors member

I called my local Apple Store last Thursday and asked if they had the new Extremes in stock. They told me that there were no new Extremes, only Time Capsules but they had been out of Extremes for about a week. I went online ordered an Extreme that is scheduled to be delivered this Wednesday. The email I got detailing my order specifically says "AIRPORT EXTREME 802.11N (5TH GEN)-USA." I don't think the Apple staff were briefed at all on the update and the only reason they know of the TIme Capsule update is because it involved a specific capacity change.

Edited to add: If you search Amazon for the part number I bought (MD031LL/A) you'll get this as one of your results: Airport Extreme 802.11N (5TH GEN)

6. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I'm not surprised the Apple staff don't know about the AEBS and TC refresh. Apple hasn't bothered to put them in the New to the Store side bar on their web store front page.

Why haven't they?

7. adwebinc macrumors member

It's not cloak and dagger stuff. If you read MacRumors front page news and the forums on a regular basis, then you are likely better informed than most Apple support (online and phone) personnel. It takes several days for the details to filter down to those people. Personnel in store are Bette, but you will still likely get better information from the knowledgable people here.

8. bsass macrumors newbie

Apple again says no update occurred

I just was on apple.com ready to purchase the newest Airport Extreme. I put the item in my cart and verified it was model number: MD031LL/A. Just to make sure it was the newest model released last week (5th gen) I went into the online apple chat and asked the representative. She stated "there has been some confusion over this. There was no new airport extreme update last week. Just changed model number and added gift wrapping."

Until i get some definite verification that this is a new generation with improved specs, I am going to hold off purchasing.

9. Wiggum macrumors member

FCC filing wasnt enough for you? Tech spec change from them wasnt enough? Wow!

10. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Don't know what the issue is, the new one in practice isn't much better than the old one. The old ones are WAY better than the usual ****** consumer wireless boxes anyway.

I've a 3rd Gen Time Capsule, and the wireless signal beats anything I had before (DLink, Netgear, Buffalo).

11. bsass macrumors newbie

Wiggum:
    FCC filing wasnt enough for you? Tech spec change from them wasnt enough? Wow!

I'm obviously conservative when making a purchase. Have you ever purchased something then found out it wasn't what you thought and have to go through the problem of returning? I just like to make sure I'm purchasing the right thing. I hesitate to even post on sites because you end up getting responses like yours. But i will explain my hesitation to purchase:

*Apple representatives say there is no spec upgrade. Several others have also noted in postings regarding the same issue. It would be great to rely on rumor information to make the purchase, but this is an apple product and official apple representatives are telling people there is no upgrade.

*Unless i am wrong (and i could be), there is nothing in the FCC filing that ties the newest model number on Apple's website to the one that was on the FCC filing.

* I see alot of people and (wikipedia) noting a tech spec change. But nothing officially from apple. Wikipedia is good, but it is updated by users, and those users could have pulled the info off of rumor sites.

If someone can convince me that the latest model on the apple website, does have all the upgraded tech specs listed in the wikipedia article, then I will purchase. I simply don't want to purchase the one currently on the website to find it upgraded a month down the road to a new model with the FCC filing specs.

12. Wiggum, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

Wiggum macrumors member

Ill look around for evidence, but you are aware on the same day as the filing the model number changed on apples website correct?

Edit.... New model is number A1408...

Wifi specs for 2009 model http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA8066

Wifi specs for 2011 model http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA12148
    another change with the new airport extreme (2011 version) it is now wifi certified for "stbc" whatever that is.
    wikipedia says:
    Space–time block coding is a technique used in wireless communications to transmit multiple copies of a data stream across a number of antennas and to exploit the various received versions of the data to improve the reliability of data-transfer. The fact that the transmitted signal must traverse a potentially difficult environment with scattering, reflection, refraction and so on and may then be further corrupted by thermal noise in the receiver means that some of the received copies of the data will be 'better' than others. This redundancy results in a higher chance of being able to use one or more of the received copies to correctly decode the received signal. In fact, space–time coding combines all the copies of the received signal in an optimal way to extract as much information from each of them as possible.

13. bsass macrumors newbie

Ready to Push the Order Button

Wiggum:

Thanks for the information and links. I'm ready to push the order button and see what happens.

14. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Finally - confirmation via the Refurb Store!

The UK Refurb store is now stocking an Airport Extreme Base Station described as "Originally released June 2011". There is a 14% discount off the full list price compared to 31% for the one described as "Originally released October 2009".

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD031B/A?mco=MjUxMDIxMTI

15. ryanide macrumors 6502

Best Buy is Out of Stock

All stores are out of Airport Extremes. Plus they only have a refurbished unit online, not even the regular one.

Does this mean a new model is on the way?? :eek:

16. jenzjen macrumors 68000

New model was just released in June 2011, so I doubt there's an even newer model coming only 5 months later

17. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'm still waiting for the Express to get updated. I've been dying to buy one. I may just have to take a plunge and get one on eBay.

18. Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

It depends on what you want to use it for. I think it's slow.

I have the October 2009 version of the Airport Extreme Base Station. I tested wireless with a Macbook, and it was easily possible to push over 100 mb/sec across the aether. However, my experience with a Base Station talking to a Express N was much worse. IIRC I could only get about 25 mb/sec with that. The units were less than 10 feet apart.