Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Besides 3:2 being better, the notch wasn't even necessary for it. There was literally nothing stopping them from stretching the 2020's case another menubar height vertically. Or half a menubar's height plus eating into the bottom bezel. There's also nothing stopping them from not carving out a chunk of that display for something that's hypothetically BTO'd not to be in there.
Because of the notch being there, the display is more fragile, needs more production time and resources (thus costs more), and is uglier.​

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I'd take a conventional 16:10 display, if I had to. I fail to see how logistically that makes sense unless they're just reusing their old tooling from the 2020, I guess, but if they're gonna be that way, I'll bite.​
The nice thing about the notch is that it gives you that 16:10 content area and just moves the menubar outside of that safe area.

Reactions: ErikGrim

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
@Tagbert Not any more than it could eat into the same 16:10 area, the notch literally hasn't done anything to make the screen larger, just cutting into it. It was Apple that made the decision to make the screen bigger. The exact same effect could be achieved by lengthening the screen by the height of the menubar while keeping the same case design as the 2020, and it wouldn't make the screen an inch shorter to use the 2021 design and just not include the notch (or associated webcam) at all, either. It's not like there's some law of physics limiting the size and shape of a laptop display that can only be circumvented by including a notch. And it's not like the notch is integral to the aspect ratio they chose, either; it's a fair bit shorter, and the logic (16:10 plus menubar height) works regardless of the notch's existence.​

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
@Tagbert Not any more than it could eat into the same 16:10 area, the notch literally hasn't done anything to make the screen larger, just cutting into it. It was Apple that made the decision to make the screen bigger. The exact same effect could be achieved by lengthening the screen by the height of the menubar while keeping the same case design as the 2020, and it wouldn't make the screen an inch shorter to use the 2021 design and just not include the notch (or associated webcam) at all, either. It's not like there's some law of physics limiting the size and shape of a laptop display that can only be circumvented by including a notch. And it's not like the notch is integral to the aspect ratio they chose, either; it's a fair bit shorter, and the logic (16:10 plus menubar height) works regardless of the notch's existence.​
Then I guess your best option is to wait until Apple releases a variant that eliminates the camera & light sensors and reduces the size of the screen to fit your needs. Good luck with that.

Reactions: chucker23n1

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Again, the new dimensions of the screen have nothing to do with the notch. They could use the exact same panels without cutting the hole out, something like this mockup:
Capture.PNG

And it would be cheaper to produce, less wasteful of the plastic, more robust, and look better -- while being more privacy-respecting (something they pour a lot of money into having the marketing department tout) without the webcam for people who don't (or can't) use one. And for those who do, the BTO page would select the notch by default and it would be like nothing ever happened.
Do you think Apple is going to go back to a 16:10 screen once they introduce an embedded camera of the same kind they're working on for the iPhone to the MacBook line, something they've been wanting to do since 2009?​

Last edited:

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I'd rather have a smaller screen than to have the notch. But I'd rather have the notch than no Face ID. Instead we have the notch and no Face ID.

CC77

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
1648571641603.png

It's actually quite bad! Dropbox and Google Drive Menu bar icons are hidden when the actions in the menu bar extend past the notch for some reason, so I don't have access to them. The Photoshop/really any menu is actually *less* important for me personally (though others could disagree; I mostly use keyboard shortcuts whenever possible) but having to go out of my way to get into all the stuff I have menu bar widgets for...sucks. And yeah, it definitely took tasks that I need to do often in the course of my workday and made them harder to do. So there could be a notch. In the middle of the screen.
That’s a good one.

Reactions: lepidotós

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
While I don't want the 2015 bezels, I'm ok with a slightly thicker one than we have now, but with a 1080p camera on top, without a notch. Apple caved in to peer pressure to have an almost zero bezel design and now we have this notch.

Nick_P

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2020
“people can stop needing to buy or make webcam covers”. That’s a windows thang. And possibly for older macs, been years, that it’s not a thing. Read one snarky know it all actually linked to articles written in 2017 , not current. Simply answer don’t want the notch that comes with extra screen area, just turn off the extra screen area. You are welcome
It’s a privacy thing. It has nothing to do with Win or Mac. I know 2 people that hate the camera and have those covers installed so they are 100% sure no one is watching them. They both have Macs.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
View attachment 1983138
It's actually quite bad! Dropbox and Google Drive Menu bar icons are hidden when the actions in the menu bar extend past the notch for some reason, so I don't have access to them. The Photoshop/really any menu is actually *less* important for me personally (though others could disagree; I mostly use keyboard shortcuts whenever possible) but having to go out of my way to get into all the stuff I have menu bar widgets for...sucks. And yeah, it definitely took tasks that I need to do often in the course of my workday and made them harder to do. So there could be a notch. In the middle of the screen.
Chances are very good that you would have needed Bartender to manage those menubar icons regardless of the notch. I know I did. Bartender does an excellent job of moving the less needed icons to an overlay panel that only appears when you need it.

Reactions: chucker23n1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.