Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced over 110 of its manufacturing partners around the world have committed to using 100 percent renewable energy for their Apple-related production. Once achieved, Apple says these commitments will prevent over 15 million metric tons of CO2e annually, the equivalent of taking more than 3.4 million cars off the road each year.

iphone-assembly-trays.jpg

Apple already announced some manufacturing partners committed to using 100% renewable energy in the past, such as iPhone assemblers Foxconn, Pegatron, and Wistron, chipmaker TSMC, and iPhone display glass maker Corning.

Apple is also investing directly in renewable energy projects, including a new California Flats solar farm that helps power its corporate headquarters. The farm is capable of storing up to 240 megawatt-hours of excess energy generated from intermittent sources, including wind and solar, and deploying it when it is most needed.

Last year, Apple unveiled a plan to become carbon neutral across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030, and the company says it has made steady progress towards this target.

"We are firmly committed to helping our suppliers become carbon neutral by 2030 and are thrilled that companies who've joined us span industries and countries around the world, including Germany, China, the US, India, and France," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president for Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives. "In a year like no other, Apple continued to work with a global network of colleagues, companies, and advocates to help make our environmental efforts and everything we do a force for good in people's lives — and to work alongside the communities most impacted by climate change."

Overall, Apple says it has seen consistent reductions in its carbon footprint, even as net revenue increased. The company says its footprint has decreased by 40 percent, and it has avoided more than 15 million metric tons of emissions through initiatives to use low-carbon materials, drive energy efficiency, and switch to clean energy.

Article Link: Apple Says Over 110 Manufacturing Partners Committed to Using 100% Renewable Energy

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Sure. Everything is going to use 100% renewable energy.

How does that work when 10% of energy is renewable?

Magic?

Or does every company just claim that the power it uses is from that 10% as it is all going through the same transmission lines?

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Sure. Everything is going to use 100% renewable energy.

How does that work when 10% of energy is renewable?

Magic?

Or does every company just claim that the power it uses is from that 10% as it is all going through the same transmission lines?
Renewable energy costs far less than fossil fuels. The cost of energy storage at the grid level drops by half every three years. Ten years from now, you will not be able to buy a new non electric car.

The world is changing. Get on or get left behind. Don't get left behind when the world moves on. There is no air in space, you will burn and freeze at the same time and the radiation is killer.

egodspeed

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
"Once achieved, Apple says these commitments will prevent over 15 million metric tons of CO2e annually, the equivalent of taking more than 3.4 million *GAS POWERED* cars off the road each year."
#IFIFY
#TeslaOwner

Reactions: RalfTheDog

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
...except the part about Apple producing billions of energy-consuming devices every year. Kind of offsets things. Ah well.

That's the idea. And it's not just Apple. All manufacturers who produce electronic/electrical products require power, whether from the grid or a battery.

That Apple uses and its manufacturers aim towards using 100% renewable energy on the manufacturing side is a good thing.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
OK, this is one step. A small one.

The next step that will really matter is for Apple to make durable devices that can be repairs and last as long as those old rotary dial phone people used to have, In case you don't remember what phones used to be like, they laster for decades and if they did fail could be repairs with common tools.

We have laws covering cars, that the manufacturer must supply spar parts for 20 years. This would be good for all consumer electronics, make certain that every device is repairable for 20 years.

• Haha
Reactions: subi257

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
OK, this is one step. A small one.

The next step that will really matter is for Apple to make durable devices that can be repairs and last as long as those old rotary dial phone people used to have, In case you don't remember what phones used to be like, they laster for decades and if they did fail could be repairs with common tools.

We have laws covering cars, that the manufacturer must supply spar parts for 20 years. This would be good for all consumer electronics, make certain that every device is repairable for 20 years.
What are you on? there is no such law. You are cannot get parts for a 10 year old car...at least some of the parts. And nothing will ever have parts available for 20 years....it's just not economically feasible. Companies could be put out of business it that was ever a was a law and the parts would cost as much as the original device. Once a model of something is no longer current, parts are no longer manufactured in quantity, raising the cost for low volume runs. The ability to warehouse 20 years of parts for every item every company made is just craziness.

Reactions: SFjohn

SFjohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
...except the part about Apple producing billions of energy-consuming devices every year. Kind of offsets things. Ah well.
Not if you live in a city that offers 100% renewable energy. We use a combo of wind and solar. As for the devices we purchase from Apple, when we are done with them we pass them on to someone who will use it & otherwise send devices back to Apple for credit, or recycling

hans1972

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
The next step that will really matter is for Apple to make durable devices that can be repairs and last as long as those old rotary dial phone people used to have,

The longevity doesn't matter if Apple becomes carbon neutral in their supply chain from a climate point of view. A lack of longevity only makes it harder for Apple but it should be of no concern to us as long as they will succeed.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What are you on? there is no such law. You are cannot get parts for a 10 year old car...at least some of the parts. And nothing will ever have parts available for 20 years....it's just not economically feasible. Companies could be put out of business it that was ever a was a law and the parts would cost as much as the original device. Once a model of something is no longer current, parts are no longer manufactured in quantity, raising the cost for low volume runs. The ability to warehouse 20 years of parts for every item every company made is just craziness.
I looked it up. Seems I had the number wrong. The EPA effectively forces this for some parts that make the car move but not parts like tail light covers.

It looks like the answer is 10 years not 20. But for some companies it is 15 years. Honda for one has policy of selling parts for 15 years. Laws may be different in Europe

Reactions: amartinez1660

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I looked it up. Seems I had the number wrong. The EPA effectively forces this for some parts that make the car move but not parts like tail light covers.

It looks like the answer is 10 years not 20. But for some companies it is 15 years. Honda for one has policy of selling parts for 15 years. Laws may be different in Europe
As far as I know, the only parts that are mandated by law are catalytic converters and if I am correct it is 7 years. I am sure they are different in Europe. Here when I need special molded factory hoses 8 years out they were no longer being made....1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD. in 2001 I got the last new transmission in USA parts inventory.

Chris A.....As a follow up I agree with you that as much as possible stay available for as long as is feasible for the manufacturers. When the piezo ignighter on my stove failed after about 12ish years, I looked online at the parts places and found that it was no longer available.....Do now I have to use a camp lighter to use that burner. I'm certainly not going to dump an otherwise perfectly good...annd very expensive stove for one bad ignighter.

Last edited:

Hildy

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2011
Renewable energy...
Energy is a conserved quantity; the law of conservation of energy states that energy can be converted in form, but not created or destroyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.