Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Spotify will lose this case but I still think Apple charging 30% and 15% for digital media sales and recurring subscriptions won’t last long. If this was really about maintaining the App Store, App Store review, infrastructure costs etc. there would be no free apps. Every app would cost something. The way it is now is like Walmart saying in order to stock certain 3rd party goods Walmart will get a cut every time one of those goods is sold but other 3rd party goods it will take no cut at all.

To say if Spotify wants to sign up a customer in app they have to give Apple a cut but Uber can charge customers in app and not pay Apple a dime is ridiculous. And the only reason it’s that way is because nothing like Uber existed back in 2008/2009. Believe me if Apple could get away with taking a cut of Uber transactions they would in a heartbeat.

I would not be so sure that Spotify will lose this case. In recent years, Apple track record in courts has been abysmal. They basically lose all court cases not judged by Lucy Koh.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Except Apple won't allow Spotify to give the option of subscribing users outside iAP. That swiss cheese of an argument is even funnier.

Please tell me more about how my iPhone XS Max and Apple Watch S4 and my 15" MacBook Pro demonstrate my blind hatred for Apple, and once you're done with that, please go ahead and explain how my Apple Music subscription and using Apple Music as my main app shows that I'm a Spotify shill.

I think you have me confused with someone else. Please show me where I called you a hater or a shill?

And what does owning Apple products have to do with your argument? You're still wrong no matter how much Apple stuff you own.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
That's a major claim that requires clear evidence. What are all the lies in Apple's response? Why are they lies? What evidence do you have? Please provide citations and references.
Here they are:

Apple claims that not a single Spotify user pays 30% fee. While technically correct, what's the reason for that? Is it because a year ago Spotify had to cancel accepting paid subscriptions via App Store because of the exorbitant fee?

Few people are paying 15% fee either. So? Is it because of the reason mentioned above? Is it because Spotify is the most popular music streaming service which is used by people not just on their smartphones which means that way more people are aware of it that would be the case otherwise? Any new streaming service would be in a much more difficult position on iOS platform.

The fact published by Apple do not disprove any of the issues outlined by Spotify.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Except Spotify has the same overhead as any free app. The addition of more premium users doesn't impact Apple, as Spotify serves those users directly.

Free apps add value to Apple's platform and ecosystem. On the balance sheet however, Apple takes a hit from purely free apps. You think $99/year that a developer pays covers all costs in reviewing, distributing, and providing developer services for free apps? Nope.

Spotify has hundreds of millions of users. Let's say 60 million users are iPhone users. Spotify releases weekly updates. That's potentially 240 million copies of Spotify downloaded every month. Think one server can handle that global distribution? Nope. $99/year that Spotify has to pay for development certificates isn't going to cover the CDN servers alone. Then there's the review process. Then there's the push notification servers which Spotify uses.

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Did you really see word "greedy" in the Spotify complaint? Also, is not Apple being generous at the Spotify expense? So, in reality it's Spotify that is generous and Apple is greedy (by misappropriating Spotify funds that could have been used to pay to artists).

I didn't really follow what you are saying. Apple was "greedy" when they only took 30%, but then they introduced a provision that decreased that to 15%. Now Apple is "greedy" because 30% exists. They should have made the discount volume based and not tenure based. As your subscriber base increases your fee decreases, and vice versa. That would should make Spotify, and their trillions /s of customers happy while also alleviating us from subscription based calculators.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
That wouldn't account for any users that didn't end up signing up because it wasn't simple to do within the Spotify app, since this is due to Apple's stupid rules, this case is still extremely relevant.
To fully answer this, we would need to see how that 0.5% number evolved between the period while Spotify did offer the (very simple) in-app subscription through Apple vs when they stopped doing so (this article from Aug 2018 mentions they've removed this option, though not sure when exactly that happened).

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Free apps add value to Apple's platform. On the balance sheet, Apple takes a hit from purely free apps. You think $99/year that a developer pays covers all costs in reviewing, distributing, and providing free services for free apps? Nope.
Spotify does not need App Store to begin with. They could have let iOS users to install it from their own web site. It would be more convenient and cheaper for them than dealing with Apple. The problem is Apple won't allow it (unlike, say, Android).

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Not really. We don't know how many customers Spotify was able to sign up in the beginning through their App who later switched to signing up via their website. They could still have relied on Apple to grow their subscriber base, and once that base was large enough only THEN did Spotify start whining.

Regardless, with most of their subscribers signing up directly they have no basis for their lawsuit. It also exposes Daniel Ek as the liar he is by quoting 30% and "leaving out" the fact repeat subscribers drop to a lower 15% fee. Sounds a lot like a politician.
Spotify did charge 30% ($12.99/month vs $9.99/month) more for those signing up via in-app subscriptions (before it removed that option), not sure for how long that was the case, here is an article from 2015 describing it. And as the article said, Spotify was trying to steer users away from using the in-app option (as it made Spotify a better deal for people and thus more likely to subscribe or to stay subscribed). We don't know how that price delta affected user decisions. That is at least the leg they can still stand on.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Spotify does not need App Store to begin with. They could have let iOS users to install it from their own web site. It would be more convenient and cheaper for them than dealing with Apple. The problem is Apple won't allow it (unlike, say, Android).

And Android users are infected with malware by doing that. Security would be greatly compromised on iOS. Also it's bad UX. You wouldn't be able to autoupdate the app.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
There is an interesting dynamic at play here that is not fully independent. Spotify et al. are wanting to change the rules (or dismantle) the App Store model. In the most recent Fast Company, the argument is made that Apple needs to get more control of the App Store to prevent bad players from capturing user data. Not sure if we can have it both ways.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Free apps add value to Apple's platform and ecosystem. On the balance sheet however, Apple takes a hit from purely free apps. You think $99/year that a developer pays covers all costs in reviewing, distributing, and providing developer services for free apps? Nope.

Spotify has hundreds of millions of users. Let's say 60 million users are iPhone users. Spotify releases weekly updates. That's potentially 240 million copies of Spotify downloaded every month. Think one server can handle that global distribution? Nope. $99/year that Spotify has to pay for development certificates isn't going to cover the CDN servers alone. Then there's the review process. Then there's the push notification servers which Spotify uses.

Review process takes between 5 to 10 min. Netflix accepts about $100/year from each streamer and Netflix is able to deliver terabytes of data to each streamer monthly. So yes I think $100/year can easily cover cc# processing, data hosting, app review process.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Spotify will lose this case but I still think Apple charging 30% and 15% for digital media sales and recurring subscriptions won’t last long. If this was really about maintaining the App Store, App Store review, infrastructure costs etc. there would be no free apps. Every app would cost something. The way it is now is like Walmart saying in order to stock certain 3rd party goods Walmart will get a cut every time one of those goods is sold but other 3rd party goods it will take no cut at all.
Apple makes money through iPhone (and iPad) sales. That is what pays their costs for maintaining the App Store for free apps. Apple could enforce a minimum price, but it has decided that in balance it profits more from the presence of all the free apps that help generating iPhone sales than the App Store running costs the free apps cause. Plus there is also the aspect that a good deal of free apps come from developers that also have paid apps (upfront, in-app, or subscription), allowing the free apps helps those developers which in return does help Apple via their paid apps (both directly via the 30% fee and indirectly via iPhone sales).
[doublepost=1561405764][/doublepost]
It's because Spotify removed the ability to subscribe in the app more than a year ago.
Do you know when exactly this happened? It must have happened before 23 Aug 2018, as this article from that date mentions that they had stopped accepting in-app subscription.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
It's always funny seeing these comments on threads like this, and just how far people bend over for Apple.

Ummmm because Apple forces Spotify to give Apple a cut even though all the media serving heavy lifting is done by Spotify servers? It doesn't matter how many people subscribe through iAP - the entire premise that Spotify owes Apple anything even though, to Apple, Spotify constitutes nothing more than a free app from a serving heavy lifting perspective.

Except Spotify is effectively free. It's free to operate for Apple, premium or not. Apple isn't doing any of the media serving for Spotify.

That 100% needs to be the deciding factor on whether companies owe 15% on iAP - is Apple actually providing anything beyond hosting the app on the App Store? If not, then this is just money grabbing, just like they do with us as consumers each year as the Apple product prices spiral out of control.

You’re talking about apple as if it’s providing gas or something! It’s not a utility company lol!

You look at the issue as how much does it cost for apple to serve a Spotify app fille to a user. Apple look at it as we’ve spent untold billions of dollars over the last 20yrs to build a user base of the highest caliber. We have taken risks and could have lost it all to any one of our competitors in the space ( Microsoft, google, Samsung etc..).

What you as an app developer licensee is paying for us access to that trusted, curated and loyal user base that Apple has built over the decades.

And if that user base is not of value then fine, don’t use it. But you can’t be upset on one hand that your paying for access to it and that makes you uncompetive and then on the other hand say that that specific user base isn’t meaningful enough for you to pay more for!

Finally apples developer license probably is still at their discretion. Does everyone have a legal right to develop for Apple devices? If that’s the case then their is a heck of a lot of other companies (Sony, Nintendo, Xbox etc) that will start having huge problems from an EU ruling that says every and anyone has the right to develop for a platform.

Also, one of the reasons I suspect Apple hasn’t provided a way of compiling code on the iPad is to differentiate it from a personal computer like a windows or mac pc is. That implies that no one really has the legal right to develop on iOS because it’s never been sold as a personal computer that you can build your own software on.

I think Spotify’s numbers posted by Apple massively undermines their claim for compensation as it seems they have lost very little from Apple policy. There lawsuit kind of claims Apple makes it hard to compete. However they don’t seem to be doing badly. I think they have lots of users don’t they?

You basically can’t have a law suit talking about damages and not show how damaging something actually is.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Review process takes between 5 to 10 min. Netflix accepts about $100/year from each streamer and Netflix is able to deliver terabytes of data to each streamer monthly. So yes I think $100/year can easily cover cc# processing, data hosting, app review process.

Do the math:

10min * 4 updates in a month * 12 months, that's 480 minutes or 8 hours of work. Glass door says average $32/hour for an App Store reviewer.
$32 * 8 = Apple needs to pay $252 to review Spotify for 1 year.

And that's just the app store review costs. For 1 app.

You want to try again with your math?

Last edited:

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
Most, if not all, of the discussion about this article is attempting to judge Apple as good or bad in their practices. I think an interesting question is why Spotify is bringing about this lawsuit. Are they trying to bring revolution for all, or is it that "Spotify wants all the benefits of a free app without being free."

The reason Apple can spend millions of dollars to support free apps is because the apps making money help pay for the whole ecosystem. And in turn, the free apps enrich the App Store and act as a gateway to paid apps.

If app developers stopped paying Apple a cut of their digital revenue then how does the ecosystem survive?

Confused Vorlon

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
I think the question is, assuming a court knocks down Apple's pricing structure, what would a fair charge be?

You don't have to knock down their pricing model - you just have to stop them from banning competition.
If Spotify were allowed to say 'Go to our website to sign up' or 'click on this Paypal link to sign up', or 'click here to pay with your Google App account' (or whatever) then a lot of the anti-competitive issues go away

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Personally, I don't think Apple deserves a dime from Spotify subscriptions. Apart from making the app available in the App Store (in which Apple gets nothing from Spotify if I sign up on Spotify website), what does Apple do to deserve year-after-year-after-year of "royalties"? Greed. And, 30% (or even 15%) is quite a bit to lose for Spotify (or any service providing their services via in-app purchase).

Reactions: falainber

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
You don't have to knock down their pricing model - you just have to stop them from banning competition.
If Spotify were allowed to say 'Go to our website to sign up' or 'click on this Paypal link to sign up', or 'click here to pay with your Google App account' (or whatever) then a lot of the anti-competitive issues go away

If every app were allowed to do that then none of them would be paying Apple. Where would Apple get the money to support the app ecosystem?

Last edited:

Timemaster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019
Apple also forbids Spotify and other developers from alerting users that they can sign up for a subscription or complete a purchase outside of its iOS app, and disallows Spotify from advertising deals to its customers in the app or by email, as these practices would circumvent Apple's in-app purchase system.

I assume this is the issue? just get rid of this passage ...
and this is the underlining issue. No matter what Apple is saying or trying to use as a defense does not get away from this underlining fact.
Apple defense does not address this issue.

Reactions: ROGmaster

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If my math is correct, that adds up to just over $12 million over the course of the year.

that's still pretty good.. I would' be worrying abut that, but seems Spotify's looking for "every penny"

I don't mind, its fun watching company's\and developers alike, go to Apple's system, only to come back and have issues with the way it's always worked. You gotta do something during the day.

Timemaster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019
Apple deserves to collect _something_ if they:
  • process credit card payments
  • provide some level of customer support to Spotify users
  • provide a platform to discover and keep updated the Spotify app
Is 15% of the subscription fee too much? ($9.99 subscription = $1.50 per month to Apple).

I say — No.

Is Spotify entitled to use Apple's resources (eg. servers and marketing) at absolutely no cost? — No.

Maybe Apple needs to introduce another mechanism where companies like Spotify can pay a fixed fee per year to cover Apple's costs?
Apple is a fancy credit card processor.
I would say yes Apple is to much.
At 5% that would be much more reasonable for all of that. 2-3% to cover CC charge plus another 2-3% for the other items.

Right now Apple is charging 12-13% for your 2 other items.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
If every app were allowed to do that then none of them would be paying Apple. Where would Apple get the money to support the app ecosystem?

Maybe they could find some spare change in all the money they make from the sale iPhones and iPads and Mac machines? Not exactly slim margins on those. THAT is what supports the app ecosystem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.