Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TXAppleUser

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2011
Texas
My buddy is a cardiologist in private practice. We have been talking about this feature for months. We're both going to get a regular EKG and do it on our Apple watches and compare the results. I'll report our findings here.

Reactions: Jefe's MacAir

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
It's fine to use the ECG if you have a pace maker right?

It should be just fine... but if you have a pacemaker, then you already have a device that is much better at pulling ECGs than the watch will be. And depending on your specific case, it may have multiple leads it can use too! Sure, you may not be able to look at the ECG yourself, but your doctor can - either during an in-office visit or through a home monitoring system that all of the major device companies have had available for their pacemakers for the past 10 years.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
05319402-5ABD-4E03-8435-1C3AC63FF029.jpeg
The Verge pulled their article. Speculate how you want.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
This is likely a HUGE step forward in heart health. Groundbreaking really. I know many think it's a gimmick or not adequate but it's just version 1.0 in public accessible heart monitoring. Heart disease is the biggest cause of death in the US followed closely by malignant cancers. Australian scientist may have found a simple blood test to detect ANY type of cancer.

The continuing monitoring of your heart will yield a very large picture of what your heart is doing. The research that will follow from billions of data points over the the next five years is nothing like it in human history.
[doublepost=1544120010][/doublepost]Just rechecked my watch OS and it's downloading now. I had checked merely minutes ago and it wasn't available yet.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
[doublepost=1544120010][/doublepost]Just rechecked my watch OS and it's downloading now. I had checked merely minutes ago and it wasn't available yet.
[doublepost=1544121925][/doublepost]Same here....downloading now.
Not enabled for S4 in NZ even with region set to United States:(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.