Apple scaling down iPhone production?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Risco, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I have nothing to substantiate this, so please take with a pinch of salt. My mate was trying to get an iPhone 4 in the shops today, but he was told that Apple are slowing production of iPhone 4 for an unknown reason. This was from an O2 rep in the UK.

Any ideas if there is some truth to this? What reason could they possibly be slowing production for unless the Verizon rumour is true and they need parts for CDMA?

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

more like there is huge demand worldwide for this product and they can't produce enough of them to keep up

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not going to happen!

4. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why, is the world coming to an end, or something?

6. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

His will. :rolleyes:

7. oilfighter macrumors regular

new antenna design?
    new iOS 5?
    verizon iphone?
    sprint iphone?
    white iphone?

my mind is going 100mph!!!:eek::eek::eek:

8. vant macrumors 65816

Nothing is going to happen on Sept 30 in regards to iPhone hardware.

The phone is selling very well. It is on track to be updated mid next year.

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you do know my friends unlces roomate best friends next door Neibhoor said this is just a total fail:D

10. bbhegedus macrumors regular

bbhegedus

on september 30th they have to decide to keep the case program going...OR they might have redone the antenna!! o_O possibly with they're acquired patent for LiquiMetal

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd have to go with the neighbors claim also:D

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

You become a teenager?

13. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Don't take this the wrong way, but your mate is a touch gullible. "You're not going to be able to buy one if you wait any longer" is one of the oldest sales tricks in the book.

14. Freshmixture macrumors regular

Freshmixture

The just need to clear coat or plastic coat the antenna....problem solved

15. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Not that simple. Stainless steel is notoriously difficult to coat with anything permanently.

16. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

137,000 iPhones being made a day and still so many people cant get one, yeah right!

17. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I still can't believe people think Apple would release a new revision of the iPhone 4. Do people not realize that if they changed the antenna it would be documented in an FCC filing? This would have to be filed quite a bit before the new revision comes out, but they can ask the FCC to delay the public release, but only up until the product is in the public.

Basically what I am saying is if they did make a revision, we would know about it, there would be no way Apple could keep it a secret. Then there would such a huge wave of backlash because it would be the exact opposite of EVERYTHING that Apple has been saying about the antenna.

So can we please just shut up about this already? Thanks, move along to the next dumb repetitive topic.

18. durawraps macrumors member

thats what this forum is about, rumors...

believe what you want but experience the facts. :eek:

19. Trat macrumors regular

They just don't need to do anything about it. They admitted the problems ratio is too small to keep the case program in the air. They won't change anything to this model (including the white one). Wait for the iPhone 5 if you hope to see changes like that.

20. JulianL macrumors 65816

Cool, you're an RF engineer are you? It's funny but, when Apple got into the mobile phone business, you would have thought that they would have hired some of their own.

If it was that simple it would have been done. I doubt the issue of antenna bridging at the "death spot" is solely down to physical contact, there will be a very significant capacitive coupling effect and, apart from the issues someone else mentioned with coating stainless steel, they probably can't get anything like the right dielectric constant out of a thin coating, especially if their choice of materials is limited by bonding properties.

Do you really think that you know more about fixing this problem that one of the most carefully selected and best resourced group of RF engineers in the world?

- Julian

21. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

If an O2 rep told me that the sky was blue I'd look up and check. They are some of the worst salespeople I have dealt with in a long time and I am glad that I only have to speak to them briefly once every two years.

22. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I think it is a case of supply and demand. I am still waiting on a replacement for my faulty screen on my iPhone 4. I have been told october, which doe not worry me to much, as the phone part works.