Apple scaring away people with false MP price?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bc008, Jul 6, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

just noticed this today..
    [​IMG]
    (click for full)

Why did apple automatically provide this $500 upgrade?

If I would have known for around $200 more I could get a mac pro instead of my macbook pro, I def. Could have saved up the extra $100 (my parents go half and half on anything i want)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they wanted to make 8 cores standard

this is old old news that you had the ability to downgrade to 4 cores

there have been many threads on this asking if they for instance could get the quad then upgrade to the 8 core don the road by getting another cpu

just one example

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks for pointing that out, and sorry, didnt know it has been a well known issue.

just a little bummed that I didnt even take the time to click on the mac pro because i thought that standard really meant standard :rolleyes:

4. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

how is the Mac Pro only $200 more then a Macbook? should I assume you meant Macbook Pro?(i see the MBP in ur sig now...) lol

as far as the $500..8 core standard sounds cool..yet they still wanted to offer the 4 core. :)

even before this current update. apple had a downgrade option from the 4 core 2.66 Ghz to a 2.0 Ghz 4 core. not that you care..just wanted to throw that in there. in that case.. it was probably so they could say the new MP is x faster then the powermac.

5. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

heh yea meant the pro.

well as you see my macbook pro is broken, so maybe applecare will let me pay the difference into a mac pro!

6. Roy macrumors 6502

Now you are starting to dream!:D

7. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

hrmph.. i thought so, one can only wish :rolleyes:
    well, with an external screen, i can pretend..

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

"Standard" does not necessarily mean "least expensive". When I bought my Quicksilver 800 DP in 2001, the "standard" configuration came with 256 MB of RAM. By downgrading to 128 MB, they subtracted $200. I then bought 1.5 GB of RAM from a 3rd party vendor for $235. So, basically, I was able to upgrade from 256 MB to 1.5 GB of RAM for $35 by going for less than "standard".

You need to pay attention to the option of downgrading from "standard"; it can end up being a really good deal.

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

The quad core is the "substandard" mac pro. God I want one.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can get refurbed MacPro for $2000 or as low as $1800 (but those are sold out very quickly).

Well, you got the MBP is because you need the portability. If you are not going portable, you might have gotten an iMac or Mac Pro. Personally I use MBP as main machine and it's great.

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Bingo. It's nearly all about marketing. If they were selling quad core systems for $2,300 when you could get a quad core from every PC vendor for well under half that price there would have been alot of confusion. Having one of the best value and most powerful 8 core systems is alot better than promoting an over priced system that has some configuration options that make it good value.

There are also reasons aside from marketing, it is advantaageous for Apple to be pushing the highest end desktop systems out there to developers so that future software is developed on what will eventually be common place harware for example.

12. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Spending that much money and not doing full research isnt to smart...

13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Very helpful. I'm sure there's a ton you don't know about your computer that many people who don't own it do know. Really shouldn't condescend that way.

It is too bad.

You could try seeing if you could get a substantial amount of money for your MacBook Pro (although you say it's broken... so after AppleCare (hopefully!??) covers and fixes it), then trading it up.

You could try eBaying it and setting a high minimum accepted price, like $1800, or something, then making up the difference later.

Of course, then you wouldn't have a laptop.

14. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Apple could certainly make more money by lowering the cost of their products. 500 units sold at $2000 is less money than 1000 units sold at $1500. Unfortunately, Apple seems to think that they can sell 1000 units at $2000 when in reality a lot of people are turned off by the price.

(The numbers above were completely made up as an example.)

15. dchao macrumors 6502a

1) You are forgetting that Apple do have entry level Desktop computers called iMac. By reducing the price of MP, they are diluting the value of iMac as well, which may not be a good idea.

2) At the top-end of any market segment, the buyer are less price-sensitive. This is the case with MP, which is aimed at the professional market, and the buyers are looking at style/functionality rather than just price.

16. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Don't you think that such a thread title is quite unfair? Apple's price is not false. Don't blame others for your own mistake.

sash

17. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

im not saying i made a mistake, just saying if i would have known i would have gotten a MP, but i really dont need 2.8 GHz for what i do, and even the MBP is overkill for me, i just didnt budget my money the best, or shop around for that matter :)

18. Roy macrumors 6502

But I don't understand why you are lamenting so much about your choice. What you chose was overkill for you, so why are you lamenting about the fact that if you would have spent more money you would have been "overkilling" even more.

I've just don't quite understand your original post and don't understand your latest post.