Apple Screwed Up Migration

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Steviejobz, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Releasing a patch to migrate from SL to Lion (from different machines) after you already release Lion? Rush much?

So for those of us who went out and spent thousands on new macs that shipped with Lion installed, go to transfer from their old Mac and now have new machines that need to be reformatted are just screwed.

Normally Apple does some testing before a new OS. But I'm starting to agree with some of the nay sayers on these forums about Lion being a bit rushed. I think testing a migration from SL to Lion would have been done before the launch.

But I do love the logo on my $1500 aluminum brick.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Actually, I got that update on wed morning before I bought/installed Lion at 7AM PST. So it's not apple's fault. It's yours for not updating frequently.

3. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Same here.

4. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Dont you think thats cutting it a little close? Shouldn't Apple check before updating? I mean, Apple is supposed to "just work"

I feel like I'm back on a Windoze pos box again. better check for updates every minute

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Well which would you rather? Release an update at the same time as the new OS (since most people won't install day one)...or wait 2 weeks/months to release the update like MS or a year, like google/motorola?

As long as its checking for updates everyday you would be fine...not every minute. The migration update was released at the same time as Lion. So when I woke up it said, update available, I read it said, update to assist with migration from SL to Lion...I was like, oh ok, I guess I'll install that.....no problems.

6. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Just a follow up here. After updating the migration assistant, the transfer still fails when going from SL to Lion.

Only works going from Lion to Lion.