Apple Screwing Over Users with "Repairs"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

The case of Apple's mystery screw
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9205659/The_case_of_Apple_s_mystery_screw

For shame, Apple. You have now turned into Microsoft.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Not sure why you are upset. After all it is Apple's product and they can use whatever screw they see fit in it.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If they're doing it to MacBooks or iPhones that have already been purchased then they're screwing with property that doesn't belong to them. If you brought your car to the dealership for repairs and they put a locking lugnut on your rims that only they could get off that would be totally cool with you right?

4. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It's hardly screwing over users. They're just making it more difficult for you to open and mess with your phone, they can design it any way they wish? If you're commited you can still manage to find the proper screwdriver for a cost.

6. Stein357 macrumors 6502

They're just trying to protect their property from being open and tampered with to cut down warranty costs.

7. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Big difference between using apple only screws in a phone not yet sold and changing one that no longer belongs to apple.

Not cool, If I bring mine in I'll be sure to ask them to refrain from locking up my case for me.

8. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure you can get a matching screwdriver from ebay for less than $5.00 free shipping when they have it listed. Just my 2 cents.:D

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

This thread needs to be merged with the other, but I think the bigger issue here is that they are doing it to consumers products that have already been purchased and built with the old screws, but are replacing them with these new screws when brought in for repairs. This is comparable to the car analogy given a few posts above.

Their property? So you're saying Apple, not you (the person who paid for it), owns your iPhone?

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Really guys? Over a screw? whew, I thought my wife was picky, jeez....

11. mefck macrumors member

Their property?

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

So tell them at the store that you don't want them to change out the screws. If you say, i own this phone, do NOT change out my screws then they cant do anything about it. They cant force you to change similarly how they. Can't force you to download the latest update.

13. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

The issue is that a lot of times, the "in store repair" is nothing more than a swap out for a refurbished iPhone from the back (rarely do they actually repair the actual device you brought in, unless it's a basic back glass replacement). This replacement is very likely to have the new screws.

14. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

You could call it a warranty lock. They easily could put a filling into the notch and if its broken of the screw your guaranty is void. Simple as that.

15. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Except when you take it in for repair, you sign a lengthy form authorizing the repair (I just took my MBP in last week). I'm sure embedded in there somewhere it says that you're authorizing them to replace any parts they deem necessary. This includes screws.

16. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Coming next month, the AppleDriver. Takes care of those pesky screws that are hard to open on your iPhone and other Apple devices. And for only $499.99. :D:D:D

For real though, this is what Apple did to all the jailbreakers. They started releasing more frequent upadets to IOS, even if there were only very minor updates to the software. They did this to mess with people who were always jailbreaking their iPhones. This is sort of the same thing with the screws. Apple gets concerned when the inerworkings of their iPhone and other Apple devices find their way onto the Internet. So, they change the screws and make it more difficult for people to break open their gadgets and post part numbers, etc...on the net.

Not saying I agree one way or the other. But I do find this very Apple.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Continue the discussion in the other thread please

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.