Apple Search Engine

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ncbetz, Aug 4, 2016.

1. ncbetz macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Can anyone see Apple making their own search engine? I mean, I am sure they hate having to pay Google. Sure, it is not a lot to them, but still, it would be nice to not have to rely on Google. They could at any time charge 5B or 10B and Apple would be forced to pay (unless they wanted to use Bing or Yahoo).

I can see Apple buying DuckDuckGo, and making it default.

2. mikzn, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

wasn't Spotlight supposed to be a move in this direction? also I don't think you have to buy DuckDuckGo - just choose as the default search engine.

3. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Yeah, it is free. I mean, Apple might acquire them and maybe rename it Spotlight or something.

4. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

I hope so. Apple search would blow away Google and the pathetic Bing results.

5. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Yes, and it might even look good! I also wouldn't mind having it respect my privacy more.

6. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Not a chance.

As much as I dislike Android and Google in general you have to admit that they make a damn good search engine, by far the best on the market.

Could anyone see Apple trying to tap into that after how they got slated with the maps app?

7. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

It used to be much better than it is now but since the alternative are worse then it can still say it is better but not that much.