Apple Search needs improvement

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arogge, Apr 3, 2010.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I'm trying to do a basic file search and it's turned into a hassle. I want all files of extension JPG in a file folder and all subfolders. The old way was simple. Do a File >> Find, look for file extension JPG and search all subfolders. Now, with this "advanced" OS X operating system, I do the same thing and am shown a Find menu that's very confusing.

There is no place to enter a folder to search. There are buttons for "This Mac" and "Macintosh HD", but I don't see a way to tell the Find function which folder I want to search. I finally used a workaround by going to the folder that I wanted and loading Find again. There was no option for "File Extension", so I had to find it under the Other conditions in the submenu. Why isn't that on by default? I put in JPG, and got no results. Find refused to search the subfolders.

I tried again and again, and it finally worked when I moved the folder to a new location and Find suddenly recognized that there were subfolders. It also isn't easy to jump from folder to folder to search, because I have to open each new Folder in Finder and then reset all of the search conditions from their defaults.

There must be an easier way to search a folder and its subfolders for all *.JPG files!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's admittedly a bit counterintuitive, but I don't find it that difficult...

Attached Files:

3. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

I'd like it much better if it would behave like it did in OS X 10.2. It would be even better if it accepted text strings instead of trying to associate search conditions with words. When I want photos, I know enough to search for the file extension that I am using to store them. I should be able to put in a folder name and type "*.TIF" or "*.JPG" and hit Enter in a search box. Then I should be able to do a Shift+Tab and change the folder name being searched, Tab back to the file name field and run the search again. The way it is now is not very user-friendly, and I still don't understand why the search has often been returning no results until I move the folder to another location or close out of Spotlight and try the search again. It seems to be much too complicated for its own good.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah. I have no problem with Spotlight, but I wish it hadn't replaced the normal search from Panther.

5. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Agreed, I used Panther for years before moving up to Leopard, and the search in that was great. I'm starting to get the hang of Spotlight though, I think.. lol :rolleyes: