Apple Secrets

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamwt28, Feb 9, 2010.

1. adamwt28 macrumors newbie

So I have been waiting on the Macbook Pro update for a few months and have been watching this site and the forums closely. One thing that amazes me is Apples ability to keep a secret. With as many people that they must have woking to create and manufacture an item like this how in the world do they control leaks with such efficiency?

2. iBunny macrumors 65816

Steve gets the mob to wack whoever talks.

3. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Apple has a history of being VERY aggressive against those who leak information. Its mostly based on fear.

4. tony-0709 macrumors member

that is exactly what my mum asked when steve introduced the ipad

5. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

no one is going to risk their job for a few kudos on a rumor site :p

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Also consider the fact that those in Cuppertino don't really know what they're working on as a whole. Everyone might be working on one project but they don't know that, they're only responsible for what they're told to do and aren't given any information on what others are doing to contribute to the same project s they can't really leak anything at that point because they don't know what the final product will be.

7. ingallsra macrumors newbie

ROFL...that's awesome

8. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Well their Apple job at least. Best Buy jobs are obviously another story. :)

9. Comma macrumors member

Jobs basically gathers up thousands of fanboys a year that have their souls sucked out through the webcams of devices.

Then he uses them to assemble the new products, getting each component from different locations.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

LOL! Yes, you're right there!

11. iKay macrumors newbie

Darn now if I had thought of that I could be rich :p LOL

But in all seriousness I wouldn't risk a job at Apple to leak a little bit of information. Sure you would be remembered for it for X weeks or months but try getting a job in that industry again!

12. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Jobs is actually know as Judge Jobs... he is the law!!!

13. TheMarc macrumors member

This successful secrecy from Apple somehow gives credit to some conspiracy theories, no? (Ok, I don't want to drift too much off topic..)
    Seems the arguments used to counter them don't work.. that too many people know, and that someone would talk.. yet, it doesn't happen here. Ok, the "issue" or the "stakes" might be different (we're talking about a "consumer product" compared to political action and moral values... but still.. who knows which draws more interest and reaction these days..?)

Seems like the same "workings"..: hundreds or thousands of people involved, but with all tasks being divided, no one knows for sure their involvement, and people are "bought" into silence (by rewards -money- and threats -lawsuits and getting fired).

I was just thinking.. (or not ;) )

14. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Even Apple employees have no idea when Apple releases new products. They find out the day of with a basic spec sheet to address the onslaught of questions.

Habitus :apple:

15. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

This is what came to mind but Apple is too, uhm... something (Cant think) of a company to use the crude mob.

They use Snipers.

16. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

Amazingly, in the manufacturing world, the only person who might know the final product is the lead engineer for the project.

in the world of rapid prototyping and one off production, it's entirely possible to keep everyone in the dark, particularly when you're talking about only 3 components being major.

your enclosure is easy to control, limited production and prototypes can all be done in house.

circuitry is easy, you're connecting components, not making something truly tangible.

software is easy, you're working on an interface not unlike one that all ready exists.

it's the handful of people who are bringing all of the pieces of together that you have to truly control.

It's referred to as compartmentalized information and production, and it works for most major governments.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, if I worked there I'd spill the beans :D

18. Peter95 macrumors member

i would leak it through a typed up email and send it to someone here on Macrumors... that way, no one would ever know who leaked it and the guy who posts it wont care since he doesn't work for apple anyways lol..!

then after a few leaks, apple would pay me to keep my mouth shut since they are not able to find the true leak in the company haha

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

actually that is not really true. most people at apple (i live in cupertino and one of my friends mom works at cupertino and he tells me everything) know generally what they're working on. they knew there would be a tablet. some didn't know what it would be called, but i think they had a codename and they all knew it was coming.

for example, the people who designed the track pad for the MBP probably saw some mock-ups of what i would look like and knew what it was going into. they probably also knew the general specs and such.

and also people won't tell because, on top of being fired, they probably signed something that could lose them LOTS of money if they ever told.

20. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

you guys are missing the key point here, it's that the culture at apple is insular and homogeneous. they don't leak information because they are legitimately proud of their reputation and take personal pride in upholding that status. there are no black sheep. :apple:

21. p3t0r macrumors newbie

I guess that's why you don't currently work for Apple?