Apple Security Center!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by natlovesmac, Jun 21, 2011.

1. natlovesmac, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

natlovesmac macrumors newbie

My friend sent me links, it were google image links about the topic we were talking about, I opened, i saw the pictures she sent me for one second, and the next thing I knew, there was this site about Apple Security Center... it was popping up very fast and then i tried to quit it, because it looked suspicious, ( i opened Tabs) I accidentally clicked the button that say "Remove Trojans" or soo... And there was this downloading thing anti-malware, i pressed Save because i didn't know (browser: google chrome) and then i quickly pressed closed all of the tabs, that had Apple Security Center, then the download was corrupted, it said 0/0 bytes file corrupted, infected, disrupted or soo. i quickly went to the downloads page and remove it from my computer. Then I went researching and did all the manual steps of removing incase it was in my mac. i used spotlight search, to find all the file names that were listed to delete, but there was none. Is spotlight search REALLY REALLY detailed? and does this mean I don't have the asc scam/virus or whatever it is?! please help! i'm afriad, i just got this mbp for 3 weeks! While I am posting this thread, i am running this ClamXav anti-virus, recommended from some sites i researched from.. is it trustable? :confused: :(

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you did not run an installer to actively install the malware, then your Mac was never infected. So, don't worry about it.

ClamXav is good for periodically running on-demand scans. It is safer than other AV software that has on-access scanning and runs with elevated privileges.

I wonder how many users like yourself called AppleCare due to being scared into thinking their computer was infected despite not actually installing the malware. This is why the supposed infection rate of this malware is most likely inflated in the media.

3. natlovesmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Omg thankyou

OMGGG THANK YOUU VERY MUCH. *SIGH OF RELIEF* I AMM SOOO RELIEVED! THANKYOU AGAIN ! <<sorry for the caps :D

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Next time, don't panic, just think about what you are doing before clicking away :eek:

Now go and give your friend a slap for sending you dodgy URLs :D

6. Buff401 macrumors newbie

"Infected computer" Scam

This may not apply to us Apple guys but recently I have been contacted by phone on more than 6 occasions by Asian callers claiming to represent some "PC Monitoring" Company who have "reported " that my Computer is running slowly and "here is how to fix it". They know my full name and phone number. Initially I just hung up but curiosity caused me to go along with the Caller as follows:
    Me: How do you know my comuter is running slow?
    Him: We have had a report from (?) PC Monitoring Company
    Me: What should I do?
    Him: Sit at your computer and press the X, X, & X keys.
    Me: I don't have those keys on my keyboard
    Him (surprised) : Oh what Operating System are you using?
    Me: None of your business & I think it is a disgrace that you are attempting to defraud people
    Him: Thank you sir, - Goodbye.
    I still think we all need to be careful and not get complacent that Macs are bulletproof.